Any downside to a 12 gallon pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballegre

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my first brew kettle and I'm thinking 10 gallon batches are in my future. I'm a noob brewer but I want to start partial and all grain recipes ASAP. Myself and my extended family drink a lot of beer so it goes fast! If I'm going to brew I might as well to a lot as cheaply as possible.

I'm thinking of skipping the sub-10 gallon kettles and go straight to a SS 12 gallon. My problem is I don't know if these are too large for stove top use. Can this be used to do full 5 gallon batch boils on the stove top? I have a 30" gas range with 11,000 BTU burners (picture of range).

Thanks.

You'll be able to use that on a stove top, but 12 gallons may be tight for 10 gallon batches; try to step up to a 15 if you can. I don't think 11,000 btus will be sufficient for 10g batches.

If you are going to use that large of a pot on your stove, be sure to look in to a way to elevate the pot off the burner. I wanted to try out my 15g pot when I first got it and ended up scorching my stove top and melting the corner of my counter top!

I agree with the above. I have a 15 gallon pot and have done 10 gallon batches in it. It comes out very close to the top. The last 10 gallon batch I did I had a boil volume of 13.20 gallons. So I would look into getting something bigger.

I would also go ahead and get a burner. They can be found for very cheap.

Here's the bought I have. Link

I've done 5.5 gallons in an 8 gallon kettle, 11 gallons in a 15.5 gallon kettle, and 16.5 gallons in a 20 gallon kettle.

I would go for a bigger kettle if you want 10 gallons batches.

Back