Any Cheap Source for Stainless Compression Fittings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wup

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently pricing out a system build, I am looking at compression fittings for sight glass for my HLT and BK, as well as for a pick up tube in the MT( no sight glass on MT, and I think I'm just gonna use a 1/2 npt to sweat copper for the HLT and BK pick up ube). The cheapest I have found so far is $14/each from McMaster, was just wondering if there was any where cheaper?

Only reason I am asking is because Im only have way through pricing the system out and already am getting scared by the price, lol.

Thanks

I just got a bunch of swagelok stainless compression 1/2" tube x 1/2"npt for $11 each with free shippin on eBay. Looks like he's sold out now, but i found eBay to be the cheapest I looked everywhere.

Thanks, I guess my question is more about the fittings them self, say a 1/2" tube fitting, it doesnt matter if it is a thin walled pick up tube or say a thick wall sight glass, right? What just matters is the OD measurement?

A compression fitting fits on the outside of a tube. It doesn't matter what the inside measurement is, you need the OD to be the same. If your using 1/2" tubing you need a 1/2" compression fitting.

They were actually$10.50 with free shipping, I bought a ton of them. My stand is all hard plumbed with stainless and they work great.

Another note. The guy at Parker said I wanted their A-lok series and it looks like the same seller has those for a great price. Be careful with the part numbers and double check though because the part number that he gave for the one's listed above didn't match anything at Parker, so they were tougher to identify.

Edit: I also just contacted the seller since his part numbers couldn't be found at Parker either online or on the phone and explained that these are really not an exact replacement. Will see what he says. I'm hoping to trade them in on the A-lok series one's he has.

I bought the swagelok fittings from that seller on eBay.com and had no problems.

Yeah, I think the seller is OK but the Parker fitting he has listed as a replacement is NOT a good substitute because of the moly coating on the compression nut. They are NOT the same. Also, there was no way to check it out beforehand because it turns out that he listed the Swagelok part number instead of the Parker number (plus no pics). I think it was just a bad substitute for our application without adequate info to know that beforehand. I'm sure he'll come through with the A-lok series fittings. He has good feedback and shipped fast so I have high hopes for a positive resolution. I'll update when I hear from him.

Jsguitar,

Definitely update on his resolution. I haven't received the items yet but I did buy that part number from him. Thanks for doing all the leg work thus far!:mug:

The seller got back to me.

First of all they told me I could send them back. I'm not sure if I'll get anything back on shipping. I'm also going to eat the cost of the one that I sanded.

They're message was a little confusing honestly. Turns out they did list the Parker part number, just in the wrong order. They didn't think it was listed wrong but it should've been listed as 8-8 FBZ-SS instead of with the SS first which is why it didn't come up at Parker. Of course, just a bit ago I did a simple google search and found it right away since the correct order didn't matter.

These are Parker's industrial CPI series that have the moly coating on the nut. Apparently these are normally cross referenced with the Swagelok fittings as they listed. Just a bad choice for our use.

Anyway, good seller, no issue there. Just a confusing mess. More info in the listing, or even a pic would've helped a lot.

The good news is they have the A-lok series which are the one's to get. I'm getting some of those from the same seller.

I contacted the seller as well but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I didn't see the replacement part in his items for sale so hopefully he still has them. I'll post an update when i receive one.:mug:

Any chance I can just buy the compression nut somewhere? I did a quick search on McMaster, but I didn't come up with anything.

I contacted the seller as well but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I didn't see the replacement part in his items for sale so hopefully he still has them. I'll post an update when i receive one.:mug:

Hey, I just sent back four of the five that I bought and I went ahead and bought these Parker A-Lok series from the same guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parker-A-lok-Tube-Fitting-8MSC8N-SS-810-1-8-8-8-FBZ-/330539711402?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5b3bbaa#ht_500wt_796

They're not really a replacement for the same part because they are a double ferrule design unlike the single ferrule of the other, but they'll work fine and are 316 SS, no treated nut, and are about half the cost of anywhere else.

Here's what they look like on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Parker-8MSC8N-316-Stainless-Fitting-Adapter/dp/B000FN0MM8/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1

Good luck guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance I can just buy the compression nut somewhere? I did a quick search on McMaster, but I didn't come up with anything.

It'd be great if there is but I'm not sure if its possible or not. I have the one that I messed up the nut on, so if you do find something let us know. You might call Parker and see actually. I'm tired of dealing with it for now!
:mug:

I attempted to piece together compression fittings at one point to save money. Never found everything I needed. You should give it a shot and post if you find any!!!:mug:

Flare fittings will not substitute compression fittings, they are different types of joints. If you want to go with flare you will need a flaring tool (mushrooms out the end of the tube at a set angle to rest on the fitting). Compression fittings dont require tube prep assuming you cut them properly.

Welded tubing is generally found with larger diameter tube and is manufactured in pieces. Continuous tubing is one long piece cut to length for resale, you will find this for smaller diameters.

Latest posts

Back