any big difference in taste between the three

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
say

8 lb of golden light
2 lb wheat

vs

8 lb pilsen
2 lb wheat

vs
10 lb wheat

just trying to figure out if any benefit to doing one vs the other for a wheat brew

If using extract for a wheat beer use 100% wheat. Wheat extract actually only contains about 50-60% wheat. The rest is generally basic 2-row.

Briess Golden Light is mashed 2-Row Pale & Carapils

Briess Pilsen Light is mashed Pilsner & Carapils

Briess Bavarian Wheat is 60/40 Wheat/2-Row IIRC Correctly

So yes there is a taste difference, as stated above if you are making a Wheat Beer then use just the Wheat DME.

Cheers!

The 10 lbs of just wheat is going to be the biggest difference. The actual taste difference between the Pilsner an the Light DME is going to depend more on what else you add to the beer. If the DME is the main flavor component, you may taste a little difference. If you add a bunch of specialties, and a bunch of hops, I doubt you'll notice much of a taste difference.

Wyzazz is correct, they are made different.

I do what PT Ray does when I make a wheat with extract. I use all wheat DME ro LME. Then I sometimes even steep a 1/2lb of wheat malt.

Back