Any barley growers out there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEMaine

Reaction score
Hi All
I am a homebrewer and gardener who hates mowing the lawn. Therefore, I am replacing lawn with garden. I currently grow Willamette hops and am going to expand into a couple more varieties this year.
I have been doing some reading on growing barley for malt. Seems it is suppoed to be pretty easy to do. A 20 x 40 bed is supposed to yield enough grain for 5 full grain batches.
I am wondering if anyone here is growing barley? If so, hows it been for you?

Growing the barley isn't really the hard part. Its turning the barley into malt that gets more difficult. Here is a BYO Article that explains some of the process.

CEMaine said:
Hi All
I am a homebrewer and gardener who hates mowing the lawn. Therefore, I am replacing lawn with garden. I currently grow Willamette hops and am going to expand into a couple more varieties this year.
I have been doing some reading on growing barley for malt. Seems it is suppoed to be pretty easy to do. A 20 x 40 bed is supposed to yield enough grain for 5 full grain batches.

You wouldn't happen to be reading the book, "The Homebrewer's Garden" would you? Cause I think I just read that section in the book last night. I malted some Barley seeds last year just for the experience. Seemed easy enough and I was able to convert some ground Corn into a sweet wort with it. Never went further with it though. I remember having a little trouble being able to tell when the Acrospire was at the proper length to dry the malt. :)

macs said:
You wouldn't happen to be reading the book, "The Homebrewer's Garden" would you? Cause I think I just read that section in the book last night. I malted some Barley seeds last year just for the experience. Seemed easy enough and I was able to convert some ground Corn into a sweet wort with it. Never went further with it though. I remember having a little trouble being able to tell when the Acrospire was at the proper length to dry the malt. :)

That is right on!! :)
I am going to try malting this spring. I am always looking for new things to try. I can by a two-row barley seed from Johnny's. Think I will try a small patch and see what comes from it.

CEMaine said:
Hi All

Growing isn't the problem. Its the harvesting that would be a btch with out one of these.
6704-P1010017.JPG

I've helped raise tons (literally) of barley, but not in a garden setting so not sure if I will be much help but feel free to ask away.

fifelee said:
Growing isn't the problem. Its the harvesting that would be a btch with out one of these.
6704-P1010017.JPG

I've helped raise tons (literally) of barley, but not in a garden setting so not sure if I will be much help but feel free to ask away.

Could ya just ship me a couple of 50 pound bags instead?!! :mug:

One thing to keep in mind, I don't know the area where you live...but make sure there isn't an ordinance against turning your lawn over like that. If there is you may have to investigate on how to get around it or get an exception added to the rule.

Yeah, I cannot do that with my yard... I can only have 100 square feet of garden area...

zoebisch01 said:
One thing to keep in mind, I don't know the area where you live...but make sure there isn't an ordinance against turning your lawn over like that. If there is you may have to investigate on how to get around it or get an exception added to the rule.
I would NEVER EVER live in any such a place.

Back