ANVIL FOUNDRY ALL-GRAIN BREWING SYSTEM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nahhh I'm not that fortunate! My fermenter is inside. My garage is a detached garage. Although it is insulated, its only r11 I put in for 'comfort' while working outside in hot/cold. Although my keezer is in the garage and I could use it for fermenting. But not really ideal. I do like the flat cart idea, that is awfully handy. I'm likely going to make a simple 2x4 frame with some scrap lumber I have laying around. First edition is going to be awful and end up in the burn pit eventually. BUT it will teach me what I want/need for a long term cart.
I am working on a platform for my 10.5 that is yet to ship... something to put the anvil up 6" above the pump, and something to mount the pump to.
I have read here the $10 furniture dolly from harbo freight is perfect for this too. Cheap, and you easily screw or hammer nails into it.

I am working on a platform for my 10.5 that is yet to ship... something to put the anvil up 6" above the pump, and something to mount the pump to.
I have read here the $10 furniture dolly from harbo freight is perfect for this too. Cheap, and you easily screw or hammer nails into it.

That's a good temporary getup for sure. I'm looking to add a miller sparge tank etc etc

In my defense...cuzz I've definitely lifted it and it was HECKA full. I was going ballistic because I thought the pump that I had just flipping bought was defective....and it had worked just fine the previous evening when I gave it a test run/cleaning. (Turns out I just cranked the head on too damn tight..dummy...)

Did the super squat, core flex and lifted it up to the top of our chest freezer in the garage. Which sucked cuzz I'm not that tall and that freezer is just an inch or so below my waist. 2 thoughts I remember having. I damn well better not hurt my back because of this crap...and I really hope these handles hold....

I just gave the warning because I know even my Blichmann 15 gallon kettle they say not to lift by the handles full. In a pinch if you know what you are dealing with and prepared for it I'd do the same. Although, they should design these handles robust enough to take the load or don't put them on because users are going to lift them.

For those who are using a false bottom with a bag, do you leave the false bottom while boiling? If not, how do you get it out?

For those who are using a false bottom with a bag, do you leave the false bottom while boiling? If not, how do you get it out?
I have my brewzilla false bottom attached with SS wire that run the length of the kettle to each handle. Once I pull the bag, I grab the wires and pull it out for the boil

I have my brewzilla false bottom attached with SS wire that run the length of the kettle to each handle. Once I pull the bag, I grab the wires and pull it out for the boil

Are there any issues if you leave the false bottom in the kettle? I did last time and it had some trub on it but was not plugged at all. - Thanks

I'm currently liking the malt pipe on the ring. Wouldn't have thought so, but here I am. I brewed this morning, got 80% efficiency or so with not much work, and no issues w/ the ring.

* Mashed with 3.5 gallons (Anvil 6.5), 7 lbs of grain. Stirred it several times w/ a whisk and used the pump to recirculate the whole time.

* After an hour, lifted pipe, set on ring and let it drain. Tricks I learned here were to find a mark on it (i.e. the seem) to know where the feet are, and to use a few binder clips in case. Taught myself that if I am actually over top looking down, it's easy. If I'm at an angle I'll bounce it around.

* Used a old 9" false bottom to press the grains and make it drain. That took a few minutes but wasn't bad.

* Moved the grain bag (yes, bag, this is a factor in making it easier) over to a spare 3 gallon pot and added a gallon of room temp sparge water. Stirred up the grains for about 5 minutes using the whisk again stuck in the opened bag.

* Moved the bag back to the kettle (with a small bowl under it to catch drips on the way) and repeated the smashing of the bag using the false bottom.

I planned for 75% based on earlier brews and got more gravity than expected. Made sure my volumes were what I expected, and they were. Plugged in to my calculator (brewer's friend, online) and had to bump the projected efficiency up to 81% to match the gravity that I actually recorded.

I might be lucky but if nothing else.... The 9" false bottom pressed onto the grains helped me w/ efficiency, maybe 5% but don't quote me on that. For me anyhow, maybe not everyone, it was better than my earlier squeezing method. And a bag for sure, especially if you have an extra pot of some sort around.

Last edited:
Are there any issues if you leave the false bottom in the kettle? I did last time and it had some trub on it but was not plugged at all. - Thanks
I really don’t know to be honest, I wasn’t sure if or how it might have affaected the flow through it during the boil and/or how hops might clog those smallish holes the brewzilla FB has. I let my hops roam free. So that’s why I just pull it prior to boil.

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered the 6.5 Anvil. Any idea on shipping lag time?

I called them in advance and asked if everything was in stock they said yes. was about a 2 week lag time for the order. It was placed on 12/31 and shipped 1/20. Mine is the 10.5 but I imagine its all pretty relative to the same timeframe.

I ordered mine on 1-23 and it also still hasn't shipped. In the meantime I'll just keep reading this thread.

I ordered mine at 12:01 AM on Black Friday, when they were “in stock and ready to ship”, and it still took almost 2 weeks To ship. Good news was, once it actually shipped, it arrived less than 36 hours later.

In my various emails from retailers, one from Great Fermentations came through a bit ago saying they had them in stock, like physically on hand. (I have nothing to do with these guys just relaying a possible source since there are "how long til I get it if I order it" posts above).

I called after you posted this and I was told that they will be sending out an update of when they expect to get their next shipment to everyone who ordered but couldn't say when they were going to find out from their manufacturer or how long it would be. Seems like in my area i have two options to either wait or cancel and get a grainfather or brewzilla since nobody carries anvil stuff.

FYI to anyone looking to place a new order - looks like they're out until May. Had to cancel my order, told them I'd be back though and they mentioned the May timeframe.

EDIT: Whoops, missed Iowa's post. I'll leave mine up as more confirmation.

Well... (after a good long cry)... aint nobody online got these that i can see.
So... i am holding out a slim hope they have the stock for what was ordered before the website showed sold out. I have not heard anything either way yet. I am at about 17 days now, so we will see. I am hoping there are units sitting in the warehouse, and they got like 2 guys labeling and shipping and that's the dely... so the more people who cancel that ordered before me the bettet my odds!
(Or in reality- i will still be waiting drinking no homebrew while y'all are on batches 5 and 6 or more!)

Well, keep an eye on the ETA's. I think everyone here loves their system but to be honest if it comes down to it the competitors are options if you find one in stock. They aren't really so different.

Well, keep an eye on the ETA's. I think everyone here loves their system but to be honest if it comes down to it the competitors are options if you find one in stock. They aren't really so different.
Yeah. I read this entire thread... I was looking at Grainfather (I love the idea of programmed steps) but for half the price AND the ability to flip between 120/220.... honestly it checked more boxes for me. And then add that it is half price compared to Grainfather and no need to add a neoprene jacket... oh well.

Yeah. I read this entire thread... I was looking at Grainfather (I love the idea of programmed steps) but for half the price AND the ability to flip between 120/220.... honestly it checked more boxes for me. And then add that it is half price compared to Grainfather and no need to add a neoprene jacket... oh well.

Yeah I did it for the 120 / 240 option. It might well live its whole life at 240 but glad to be able to go to another spot in the house or someday someone else's house with it.

Grainfather's expensive, I was think of some of the others. But yeah may be worth waiting, there's a reason we all went w/ the anvil.

https://southernhillshomebrew.com/p...systemwithpumpkit?_pos=2&_sid=13e3189a2&_ss=r
Just ordered the 10.5 with recirculation kit from here. I called first and confirmed that they are actually in stock and not being drop shipped from Anvil. I had planned on ordering it without the pump as I already own a March pump, but went ahead and bit the bullet as I’d rather not wait till May for it.
Thank you!
$107.00 shipping to me... plus, an extra $50 as I got the Anvil 10% off... Hmmmm....
Bookmark this spot. In 1 or 2 months I will bet I say.. I wish I just paid the extra $175!! ha ha

Thanks

Yeah that’s a hefty amount for shipping. Luckily they aren’t very far from me so I paid much less for shipping. Considered driving to pick it up for free but the 3 hours round trip wasn’t worth saving $25.

Once I get it in I plan on selling the pump to offset some of the cost since I already have a pump.

Your getting more than just a pump with the recirculation kit. I like the screen that comes with the kit to distribute flow for recirculation and sparging. I feel that this pump is better than the March pump I had.

I had to look back to see how long it took me to get mine last year. I missed the 1st 'round' to get in on a waiting list, so there was a couple of weeks for that. Finally was able to get on the waiting list in May, order submitted in late June, didn't receive until mid July. Worth the wait though, at least for me. If I 'had' to start over, I'm almost certain I'd end up with another Anvil.

I brewed Dgallo's Single Hop PA recipe last weekend and ended up with 83% brewhouse. I'm not sure HTH that happened, but I'll take it. Overview:

Milled to .028
Used Wilser bag in pipe
Sparged 1G

I ordered the 6.5 with pump on January 15th, it showed up today.

From the anvil website
That is a ray of hope! I know the 10.5 is now showing as out of stock (but 6.5 is available) BUT given that... you were 11 days before me...So maybe there is a chance my unit will show up/ship in the next 11 days! By any chance can you tell me the date it was shipped? I

That is a ray of hope! I know the 10.5 is now showing as out of stock (but 6.5 is available) BUT given that... you were 11 days before me...So maybe there is a chance my unit will show up/ship in the next 11 days! By any chance can you tell me the date it was shipped? I
I got the shipping alert on Wednesday.

image.jpg

Brewing up a ginger beer.

Anyone get a Brewzilla false bottom that didn't fit inside the Anvil? I ordered the one for the 35L system off Williams Brewing and it is actually too big to fit in the kettle.

Anyone get a Brewzilla false bottom that didn't fit inside the Anvil? I ordered the one for the 35L system off Williams Brewing and it is actually too big to fit in the kettle.

I bought mine on ebay " Replacement Malt Pipe Boiler Screen for 35L Robobrew / BrewZilla / Digiboil ".

You know what though, don't know if I ready to try it myself yet, but, I see a few using the bag without not only the pipe but no false bottom. The couple I saw use "The Brew Bag" and claim the supplier says at mash temperatures it's fine to be in contact with the bottom.

I bought mine on ebay " Replacement Malt Pipe Boiler Screen for 35L Robobrew / BrewZilla / Digiboil ".

You know what though, don't know if I ready to try it myself yet, but, I see a few using the bag without not only the pipe but no false bottom. The couple I saw use "The Brew Bag" and claim the supplier says at mash temperatures it's fine to be in contact with the bottom.
Ive heard this as well but even if its true, I wonder: 1) could/would the vertical temp probe be a problem poking a hole in the bag? Perhaps not since it off to the side but what a PITA it would be if it did tear a hole. lol. 2) with nothing between the bags bottom and the element - even if the bag doesn't scorch it seems like it might prevent/limit flow of wort coming out of the bag which could be an issue when recirculating? My brewzilla 35L fits perfect, so I'll just keep using it.

based on @myndflyte's experience, i wonder if keg land got a little miffed that people were using their FB for the anvil and changed the design just enough for this not to work lol.

Ive heard this as well but even if its true, I wonder: 1) could/would the vertical temp probe be a problem poking a hole in the bag? Perhaps not since it off to the side but what a PITA it would be if it did tear a hole. lol. 2) with nothing between the bags bottom and the element - even if the bag doesn't scorch it seems like it might prevent/limit flow of wort coming out of the bag which could be an issue when recirculating? My brewzilla 35L fits perfect, so I'll just keep using it.

based on @myndflyte's experience, i wonder if keg land got a little miffed that people were using their FB for the anvil and changed the design just enough for this not to work lol.
I too wonder how accurate the probe reads if it's covered with the bag/grain.

I ordered mine on 1/16 when it showed in stock and was given the order confirmation. I emailed them after the 10/12 days was up as to the status and they said shipping was a bit delayed. I received FedEx confirmation on Friday that my order shipped. Weird thing was this morning I got a automated email from them stating my order was back ordered until April or so. Not sure what’s going on. I’ll update after Thursday.

I ordered mine on 1/16 when it showed in stock and was given the order confirmation. I emailed them after the 10/12 days was up as to the status and they said shipping was a bit delayed. I received FedEx confirmation on Friday that my order shipped. Weird thing was this morning I got a automated email from them stating my order was back ordered until April or so. Not sure what’s going on. I’ll update after Thursday.
Thanks for the update. I too got that email today (seemed generic- a mail chimp email).
I am still holding out (slim) hope i'll get one shipped soon... i mean, you would think they would have a basic inventory count on their website. Who knows...

You ordered a 10.5 correct?

Back