ANVIL FOUNDRY ALL-GRAIN BREWING SYSTEM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you order from?
I ordered directly from Anvil Thursday and they don't say when they'll be shipping. I saw one site said August for shipping.
I ordered from Anvil and on the site they say mid July, but I haven't heard anything from them as to when it may go out.

My first brew on my Anvil went very well. Didn't mess with my mill gap yet and achieved 71.6% mash and 63.7 BH efficiency. Only issues I have are: 1) I need a new hop basket - mine doesn't go deep enough. 2) Chilling was slow with stock SS chiller. Ha - I currently have a 3-coil 75' of 3/8" copper tubing but it doesn't fit the Anvil. May also look at a whirlpool arm to save my arm.

(My error, dumped all the grain in the pipe before dropping it into the brewer. I mixed it well.)

View attachment 683661View attachment 683662View attachment 683663View attachment 683664
Do you happen to have the dimensions for that bag? Is that the 400 micron Brew Bag?

Are you still practicing LODO with this system? I've followed many of your comments from late 2019 regarding BIAB.

I have not really tried to do LODO on it yet, thought I still throw some BrewTan B in to help clear the wort and pitch yeast at the rates the LoDo guys recommend. On the low oxygen website there has been talk about mashing in the Foundry, then pumping it to a brew kettle and either boiling in the kettle or pumping it back to the Foundry (or any all in one system) after removing the mash pipe and boiling in that. One of the issues is that there is no recirculation port on Foundry, so with it recirculating from the top during the mash, I can't really use a mash cap. But the beers have come out so good, I have not really worried about it. Just wish there were comps happening so I could validate that the beers are as good as with my old system.

I have made a video about mash caps which includes the Foundry. My YT channel is listed in my signature. Someday soon I will make a low oxygen video on how I brew Low Ox on the Foundry. It is not too tricky but it helps to have an HLT.

So since having my 6.5 delivered mid-May, I finally got the electrician out to install the 240v outlet!! I unboxed and gave everything a through cleaning yesterday. Today I ran a water test and marked out my volumes based on my old kettle. Measured temp ramp times as a part of the water test. I went off a max grain of 8lbs and used volume for mash in and then drained off to account for grain absorption. Mash temp took 22mins and mash to boil only took 18mins.

Overall I am pleased with the unit from this test. No major issues I can see with quality and best part is it is able to accommodate my existing pump and wort chiller.

Now to get some grain in this thing!!:ban:

I FINALLY received my Anvil 10.5 last Friday after ordering it on 4-26-20 from MoreBeer. So after waiting about 2 and a half months, I unbox it and make sure everything is there. Then I filled it with water to do a leak test. It hasn't stopped leaking yet... It came with the ball valve installed so I removed it, checked the opening for burrs, and then reinstalled the valve tightening it all the way. It still leaked. Next I wrapped the threads with some teflon tape, it still seams to be leaking. I contacted MoreBeer on Monday and still have not heard anything back on this.

Anyone else have any issues with leaking and have any other suggestions? I don't even want to plug this thing in because the water has been leaking from the seam near the bottom and the seam at the plastic base.

I FINALLY received my Anvil 10.5 last Friday after ordering it on 4-26-20 from MoreBeer. So after waiting about 2 and a half months, I unbox it and make sure everything is there. Then I filled it with water to do a leak test. It hasn't stopped leaking yet... It came with the ball valve installed so I removed it, checked the opening for burrs, and then reinstalled the valve tightening it all the way. It still leaked. Next I wrapped the threads with some teflon tape, it still seams to be leaking. I contacted MoreBeer on Monday and still have not heard anything back on this.

Anyone else have any issues with leaking and have any other suggestions? I don't even want to plug this thing in because the water has been leaking from the seam near the bottom and the seam at the plastic base.

You need to make sure that the inner and outer liners match up correctly. Also, over-tightening the nuts can cause issues as well. Check out the Anvil Foundry group on Facebook. There is a video on the announcement section that shows you what to look for.

Is anyone else using the Anvil Kettle Strainer with this and if so, have you tested what you can max out on with the hops?

I recently brewed and did hop extract for bittering and then 4 ounces in the hop steep. Between that and the cold break, that puppy got pretty clogged and took forever to drain.

I've thought about adding on a hop back and splitting up the hop doses to speed up time.

Got my shipment notification today as well, expect to have it by next Wednesday.

Had my 20A 240 circuit installed about 3 hours ago,
Ordered the inline GFCI about 1 hour ago, that won't be here til next Friday?
"Upgraded" some of the garage outlets to GFCI a couple days ago. Those will be for the new Riptide and aquarium pump for chilling.
Conflicted about whether I should order a bag or not

Got my shipment notification today as well, expect to have it by next Wednesday.

Had my 20A 240 circuit installed about 3 hours ago,
Ordered the inline GFCI about 1 hour ago, that won't be here til next Friday?
"Upgraded" some of the garage outlets to GFCI a couple days ago. Those will be for the new Riptide and aquarium pump for chilling.
Conflicted about whether I should order a bag or not
What aquarium pump are you going to use? I haven't got around to researching that yet.

What aquarium pump are you going to use? I haven't got around to researching that yet.

I've very recently "upgraded" the pump I was using, so I can't really tell you how effective the new one is. I was using the 265 GPH version here with 3/8" tubing.
https://www.amazon.com/Boxtech-Aquarium-Submersible-Water-Pump/dp/B07JVJ8D41/
Using that and cooling down a 5G batch via kettle w/a small stainless IC took over a hour. I run off the first 10 gallons into a HD bucket and dumped in the yard, from that point it was all recirculated into an ice bath.

Did some reading about chiller optimization and they mention that flow rate is fairly important. So I recently bumped up to the 660 GPH version with 1/2" tubing and it bumped off about 20 minutes?

Bought a whirlpool arm that I haven't tested yet, but bought w/intention of using w/Foundry and hopefully reduce the need for futzing w/the damn chiller during the cooling period.

What kind of gap are you setting for your grain crush? Credit card width? Currently with BIAB I got the tightest gap possible and doing a double pass. I'm guessing doing that will clog it up.

What kind of gap are you setting for your grain crush? Credit card width? Currently with BIAB I got the tightest gap possible and doing a double pass. I'm guessing doing that will clog it up.
I’m not sure what a credit card gap measures. 0.030-0.033”? Anyways, I use a wilser bag inside the malt pipe and I’ve tried GAP sizes from 0.026-0.040. I’ve settled on 0.028. I use feeler gauges to measure this and I do recirculate starting at the 15minutes mark of the mash but I recirculate slowly at about ~1qt per minute as recirc does help with temp stratification for the 10.5g foundry if not recirculating. Didn’t make a marked enough boost in efficiency at 0.026 and sparging was a little more rough so that’s why I settled on 0.028. Edit: for reference I’m using a cereal killer grain mill

Last edited:
Just got a shipment notification. Ordered on 6/30.
Did you order directly from the Anvil website? I ordered mine from there on 6/22 and haven't gotten a notification yet. I also got the small batch adapter ring, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it...

@billymeter I included the small batch with my preorder, along with a couple of spare parts, o rings and such.

@Squidmanoo7, I’ve been wondering much the same thing if people use it to attempt to improve efficiency. I included it in my preorder because my intention was to brew small batches from time to time.

I seen on another thread someone took a bottling bucket and blocked the side holes and said their efficiency improved to 70s

I seen on another thread someone took a bottling bucket and blocked the side holes and said their efficiency improved to 70s
With the 10.5g foundry, I decided against the ring to block the sides. I use a bag inside the malt pipe and it looks like the bag would easily rip on the nubs of the small batch ring. I haven't wanted to do small batches though and I am getting mash/lauter efficiencies regularly in the 75-79% range depending on grain bill so Im happy with those numbers without the additional ring to block the sides.

With the 10.5g foundry, I decided against the ring to block the sides. I use a bag inside the malt pipe and it looks like the bag would easily rip on the nubs of the small batch ring. I haven't wanted to do small batches though and I am getting mash/lauter efficiencies regularly in the 75-79% range depending on grain bill so Im happy with those numbers without the additional ring to block the sides.
How many thousandth is your grain mill set at??

Foam question:
Second brew day on the 6.5, using spin cycle whirlpool arm and Anvil pump...had a crazy amount of foam during cooling, maybe 3-4 inches high. My guess would be air ingress in the pump or lines, any other ideas?

I have a quick connect from my drain port that goes to the pump inlet. Other than that, pretty much stock. Pic is after removal of IC.

D99EE522-E5C2-4E37-B818-D4524830021A.jpeg

Foam question:
Second brew day on the 6.5, using spin cycle whirlpool arm and Anvil pump...had a crazy amount of foam during cooling, maybe 3-4 inches high. My guess would be air ingress in the pump or lines, any other ideas?

I have a quick connect from my drain port that goes to the pump inlet. Other than that, pretty much stock. Pic is after removal of IC.
Do you install hose clamps on barb fittings?

View attachment 688971

Do you install hose clamps on barb fittings?

Hmm. I already disassembled my set up after the brew day so I’m not sure. I think I did, yes.

I think I saw more air than normal in the pump hose, at the time I was thinking maybe because this was a stout and made it more obvious?

anybody know what size bag is recommended for the 6.5 foundry ?

I just ordered a couple Wilser bags for my 6.5 Foundry. I emailed and asked about the size. They said to send them the outer diameter (10.5") and height (11") of the malt pipe. (I didn't include the feet in the height!)

Edit: Actually... I PM'd wilserbrewer on this forum, not email.

Last edited:
I just added my strike water and set the timer to be warm in the morning. Really looking to my first brew day on this machine. Breaking it in with a Centennial Blonde.

I completed my first brew today! I did 3gl batch Black Session pseusdo IPL. Nailed my gravity target 12p my existing chugger and immersion chiller worked well with the foundry so that will allow me a couple fermentation upgrades! Only one brew in but really glad I pulled the trigger on this. All thanks to this thread!

anybody know what size bag is recommended for the 6.5 foundry ?

I got the 10.5gal Foundry, but I was able to order a Wilser bag by just specifying which unit I had. I'm pretty sure he's already got the dimensions for the 6.5gal Foundry, but you can email him to be sure.

I got the 10.5gal Foundry, but I was able to order a Wilser bag by just specifying which unit I had. I'm pretty sure he's already got the dimensions for the 6.5gal Foundry, but you can email him to be sure.
Same here. I got the bag in before I received my foundry. Checked last night and fits perfectly.

Mine just arrived today, going to try and do a mocktoberfest this weekend assuming everything checks out w/the unit itself. Will be first time using a used speidel fermenter too, so that should be interesting. I've checked it multiple times and haven't found any nicks, gouges, etc., where any possible infection points could reside but paranoid I've missed something.

My gfci inline extension cord rig won't be in til next week, so I'll be brewing on 120...but.....I haven't brewed in over a month and the fermentation chamber has been empty for a couple weeks now.

I'm hoping my rig is waiting for me at home tonight. Looking forward to brewing on it, but it will be awhile before I can get the 240 circuit installed so it may take awhile. Does anyone have the still attachment?

I got mine today... it was shipped to my company in Seattle last week, then barged up with our freight. I opened up the box. Nicely packaged. No apparent damage, so I am pleased. Hopefully I can get it unboxed and fired up this weekend. I’ve got a lot going on this week. We’ll see. I’m excited!
If you are thinking about ordering one, order directly through Anvil. Morebeer over sells and you will wait a long time. damhik.

Back