ANVIL FOUNDRY ALL-GRAIN BREWING SYSTEM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I just got their email notification as well. I'm quite curious. I'm in the market for an all-in-one electric all grain system, as I live in Oregon and thus can't brew outside over half the year, and I don't have a garage to have a large HERMS system in. I was thinking about getting the Grainfather, but it is so expensive and seems to be prone to some big issues... I'm gonna keep an eye on this system and maybe get it instead if people have a good experience with it.

Looks great but why does the video advertise the price $100 less than the site?

I will wait for a few months of reviews but I may be interested in picking one of these up I like it better than the Robobrew, and at half the price of a Grainfather that's attractive, I wonder if you can step mash with it unattended?

Looks great but why does the video advertise the price $100 less than the site?

I will wait for a few months of reviews but I may be interested in picking one of these up I like it better than the Robobrew, and at half the price of a Grainfather that's attractive, I wonder if you can step mash with it unattended?

I think it is $100 more including the mash re-circulation pump + accessories, by looking at the great fermentation's website .

This looks pretty cool. They have improved on recirculating filtration and it can be converted from 120 to 240 with the flip of a switch and a new plug end. These electric all in ones seem to be one upping each other.

https://shop.greatfermentations.com...nvil-foundry-brewing-system-parts-accessories
looks like the same electric system I found on alibaba a couple years ago. exact same controller... doesnt the mash and boil use the same one? likely bought from same supplier The seller from alibaba emailed me trying to sell me samples for $75 plus shipping.... not sure if it had a pump or even chiller included though. and looking at this similiar one now it seems many are selling them for more with a crazy shipping fee..
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...m=a2700.wholesale.maylikehoz.6.631773063TKI7Y

Last edited:
The 6.5G gallon one without a pump for $275 looks like it could be a really nice small-batch pilot system for people with bigger systems.

WESBREW said:
at first glance looks similar to mash and boil. will be checking it out.

very likely the same exact kettle and controller with different accessories..

Yeah looks like you're right. things being manufactured and multiple companies selling them under their own name. definitely the mash and boil, switch to 220v is pretty cool. I don't think M&B has that.

WESBREW said:
at first glance looks similar to mash and boil. will be checking it out.

very likely the same exact kettle and controller with different accessories..

Yeah looks like you're right. things being manufactured and multiple companies selling them under their own name. definitely the mash and boil, switch to 220v is pretty cool. I don't think M&B has that.

The Anvil is a 10.5 gallon kettle the M&B is 7.5 gallons that's a nice amount of additional space

It is really cool that there's a smaller volume version for only $375. I bought a 10L Braumeister for 3x that price because it was the only thing out there for 2.5 gallon batches, which is my standard.

I am not sorry I bought the BM, as it's really well designed, but the Anvil dramatically lowers the price of entry. It also seems to be directly targeting some of the weaknesses of other units.

Especially of note is that the Mash & Boil controller holds temp to within 5 degrees, which for mashing with any precision is unacceptable. The Anvil claims +/- 1 degree.

Time will tell if it keeps its promises... (may have to grab one)

Last edited:
The foundry wasn't on Anvil's website yesterday, but its on there today with a nice features chart, comparisons with other systems. looks like added features are a triple element vs. two on M&B, digital relay for heating elements vs. flipping switches, extra perforations on the grain basket, rotating racking arm, maintains +/- 1 deg instead of 5 with M&B and robobrew, and switchable to 240v/2800w
https://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-foundry-10.5.htm

I am keeping a very close eye on this, it would be nice to brew in the garage and have a second batch going in the kitchen, it would save me a lot of time since I usually do 2-3 batches on brew days. I never went with one before because The Grainfather is very expensive for me at least, The M&B seemed to small and the Robobrew had issues and I hear is very slow to reach temps this however may work for me I am looking forward to seeing some reviews on it

Looks to me just another one. Some things better some things not. Some things probably over stated. Price is good.

Will be watching it.

2800W doesn't seem worth it for the 240 conversion. Cool feature, but seems a bit half-a**

The comparison chart on Anvil's website seems to indicate that it is NOT capable of step mashing. I also read through the manual and did not see any mention of adjusting temp once the mash is started. While I don't see why you wouldn't be able to change the temp once you mash in, the information available from Anvil is indicating that it is not possible. I've never done a step mash because its a pain to do with infusions in a cooler mash tun, but if I were going to invest in an electric system, this is a feature I would want.

Edit: I'm probably over-thinking it and it's as simple as just changing the temp on the controller, but I would think they would use simple step mashing as another selling point.

The comparison chart on Anvil's website seems to indicate that it is NOT capable of step mashing.

Robobrew and Grainfather are capable of programming in a step-mash schedule, so you can tell it to hold at 120F for 20 minutes then increase to 150F. That chart is just saying that if you want to step-mash, you need to set your own timer and come back to change the temperature manually.

I clicked the link in the opening post and it took me 1 second to see that this seems like a generic china-product which has been rebranded. There's a dozes of rebrands out there on the market. Usually all of them do the exactly same, and have the same tradeoffs, just pick your price (brand/name of "maker"). All bells and whistles you can probably score way cheaper than getting it from the "maker". It's all down to the marketing department. Selling a lada with the same red paint (not even same, but it looks like the same) as a Ferrari, and charge for it somewhere in between.

Last edited:
Robobrew and Grainfather are capable of programming in a step-mash schedule, so you can tell it to hold at 120F for 20 minutes then increase to 150F. That chart is just saying that if you want to step-mash, you need to set your own timer and come back to change the temperature manually.
Makes sense.

upload_2019-5-17_14-42-25.png

Edit: maybe not. according to q&a its a timer, and mashing is set manually. no programming multiple stages to start auto. below might just apply to some of them

I think all of them have you set a mash step below your water temp so it does nothing for specified time, then the next step is set at mash temp and kicks in and in starts heating up.
I don't know if its for me but its not outrageous and the warranty has to be worth something. the grainfather is also being pumped out of a Chinese factory.

Last edited:
So wait. It’s switchable to 240v/2800w? All you have to do it change the plug end? Cool. Wait where do I plug it in?

What if I want to brew in the basement? What if I want to brew in the garage? What if I want to brew in the kitchen?

And it’s an immersion chiller. And no Bluetooth?

Read the Q&A on the Great Fermentation’s site.

Not remotely in the same league as the Grainfather and price reflects that.

And it’s an immersion chiller. And no Bluetooth?

Not remotely in the same league as the Grainfather and price reflects that.
Personally, I'd rather have an immersion chiller. One of my friends has a Grainfather and bought the Jaded Scylla because it works WAY better than the chiller that comes with the Grainfather.

I also prefer the bigger volume and the double-wall insulated kettle. Even if they were the same price, I think I'd still choose the Foundry. I think a lot of people have a 240V socket in their kitchen and their garage. If you don't have a 240V socket available, just leave the 110V socket on and it will still heat faster then the Grainfather because of the double-wall kettle.

I like immersion chillers. I also don't think bluetooth is a deal breaker. I'm more than capable of getting up and going to see if it's reached strike temp, and setting timers and whatnot. If you really want a counterflow chiller, you can just buy one separately and still come out a few hundred $ ahead.

I'm sure it's possible to rig up the cord with both plugs, covering the one not in use, or make a QD so you can easily swap them out. It may not be the safest thing in the world, but I don't see any reason it can't be done.

I would opt for the foundry over the grainfather and save the extra $500+. That money can go towards a nice conical fermenter or kegerator setup.

I’m sure this anvil system is a nice system and it will work for many. But it’s not in the same league as the GF. Hence the $500 difference. It’s more aligned with the robobrew. If I didn’t want to spend the coin on the GF then it would be a toss up between the robobrew and this anvil system.

Wait until the GF goes on sale again for 799. That’s what I got it for.

2.5 addtl gallons in the Anvil
Double wall insulation on the Anvil
External pump on the Anvil
3 heating elements on the Anvil
Rotating racking arm on the Anvil
Better basket drainage system on the Anvil
240V option built in on the Anvil

Not sure why you think the Grainfather is in another league, yes it's a different system for a different customer but I don't see it as superior as the beers will be the same and both units have nice features the other does not.

2.5 addtl gallons in the Anvil
Double wall insulation on the Anvil
External pump on the Anvil
3 heating elements on the Anvil
Rotating racking arm on the Anvil
Better basket drainage system on the Anvil
240V option built in on the Anvil

Not sure why you think the Grainfather is in another league, yes it's a different system for a different customer but I don't see it as superior as the beers will be the same and both units have nice features the other does not.
The main things I see going for the GF are the large and active user base and the controller positioned at eye level. I can see some people also valuing the Bluetooth, but that's not my jam.

I was very close to pull the trigger on a M&B, but I'll wait a little longer for a few user reviews of this unit from Anvil. I have their fermenter and I like the balance Anvil struck between price and quality. However, the first gen of fermenters appear to have suffered from quality issues, and I imagine early adopters of the Foundry will have to take a chance that this time it'll be different or that Anvil will step up to the plate and correct any teething issues

I have 3 of their fermenters and love them I will be getting 2 more. I agree with you on the initial quality may be sketchy that's why I am waiting for the reviews to come in and will be keeping an eye on it, I would love to shorten my brew day if it's practical I can do a batch inside and another in my garage at the same time.

Last edited:
I have 3 of their fermenters and love them I will be getting 2 more. I agree with you on the initial quality may be sketchy that's why I am waiting for the reviews to come in and will be keeping an eye on it, I would love to shorten my brew day if it's practical I can do a bath inside and another in my garage at the same time.
I usually bathe inside too ;-) ... didn't use to, but the the neighbors complained.

I’m not defending anything. It looks like a nice system, but I think the GF has better features. Sure they both brew 5 gallon batches, just like a Chevy and a Mercedes will both get you down the road. To each their own! I have multiple anvil fermenters and will probably get a couple more. They have nice products. You guys can put your torches and pitchforks away

the controller doesn't have mash-step features that robobrew and grainfather have. more of a one-step manual program, but looks easy to use. I'm next to my brew anyway so no big deal to manually put in another mash step and set my phone timer. it does have the delay timer, which is nice. What I dislike most is the same issue with Robobrew, at least in the US. lousy 1 year warranty. I think grainfather is 2 years. Robo is 3 years in AUS

I started thinking of their ferment in a kettle kit. I bet you can finish boiling, cool, and then just pitch and ferment in the same vessel. Temp control could get tricky since it is double wall, and maybe I'm wrong since they haven't mentioned it, but seems like it would work.

Thanks for the video Highland! Always enjoy your videos.

I am looking at one of these all in ones but am wondering about how much grain stuff gets left from the mash into the boil? In watching the Anvil instructional video it shows when they dough in there is quite a bit of grain already floating on the outside of the mash basket. Given the short dip tube it would seem that a lot of this would stay in for the boil. I will have to wait for the reviews as this would be my main concern.

Also, from a low oxygen brewing viewpoint, would it be possible to add your grain to the mash basket prior to sinking it down into the water? Sort of emulating an underletting approach. I wonder if the grain would fall through if you put it in there dry?

Back