Anvil Crucible - Conical Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This looks pretty interesting to me. I think the deep conical shape and what appears to be a sanitary butterfly dump valve with 1.5" triclamp are clutch features if you want to harvest yeast and clarify in one vessel. Though they have not published a pressure rating, I guess it should be similar to their stainless bucket fermentors. To me it seems a decent value for the price if you are looking for these functions.

Hoping Santa is paying attention... 🎅
7gal product link

Crucible.JPG

Most of my batches are in the 3gl range. While I would like to see a smaller version I’m interested in the 7gl for my session IPA that I want to have on tap regularly. Thanks for posting!

Their marketing department deserves a raise because I got about 5 emails about this from Anvil and different retailers.

It looks like a nice compromise that gets the important features of the fancy stainless conicals from blichmann, ss brewtech, grainfather, etc, at a more reasonable price. Like hard plastic between the legs and conical area seems like a real pricing win to eliminate messy welds where metal isn't strictly needed since 7 or 14 gal is not that heavy.

Things that I might miss from the ss brewtech conical bme I have now:
  • TC port on the top
  • Butterfly valve on the racking arm
  • Higher placed small sample valve
  • Optional shelf under the dump valve
CIP is pretty important to me, since I'm lazy, so it'd be nice to have the TC port on the top for that, but if this lid is similar to the one for the Foundry, then it shouldn't be impossible to get a CIP ball on there with some diy hacks, but it might be hard to get it to not spray hot cleaning chemicals out the top.

Wonder if you could replace the sample's ball valve with a butterfly somehow, but I'm not sure if they make one that small.

Might be a little hard to get clear samples with the racking arm, but not a huge deal either.

If I could figure out a good CIP solution, I could see going with one of these to save a few hundred bucks.

Good set of videos, like always with you! Off topic, but your earlier videos on wiring a control panel were very helpful for me when I did mine! Thank you for the support you provide to the home brew community!

Good set of videos, like always with you! Off topic, but your earlier videos on wiring a control panel were very helpful for me when I did mine! Thank you for the support you provide to the home brew community!
Thanks!! I appreciate it I'm glad the videos helped. I'm looking at doing some more control panel building in the near future. 👍🍻

On the topic of Anvil equipment (hopefully), I wondering what anyone thinks of the Foundry 10.5 gallon brewing system. Their systems appear less costly than other brands, and I am looking for something of that size to upgrade my brewing. Thank you.

I highly recommend it. The dual voltage ability as well as a true PID controller make it a solid option. some people don't like the external pump but I actually like it if it gets clogged it's really easy to clean.

Thank you! I agree about the external pump. But I guess you can only get a 5 gallon batch out of this system. I might need a larger one, I didn't notice the finer print.

I highly recommend it. The dual voltage ability as well as a true PID controller make it a solid option. some people don't like the external pump but I actually like it if it gets clogged it's really easy to clean.
I am trying to get into home brewing and have been looking to pair up the Anvil 10.5 foundry and Anvil 7 Gallon Crucible. I am wondering though is the Crucible worth the extra money compared to the 7.5 gallon bucket fermentor that Anvil offers? When I purchase the equipment I want to make sure that I don't brew three batches and want to upgrade after a couple brews. Is the the tri-clamp bottom dump really worth the extra money? I do want to make sure I have clearer beer, but don't plan on reusing the yeast.

Back