Anvil bucket fermenter lid not sealing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
Ever since i took the lid gasket out to clean, it has had trouble sealing. It’s like the gasket is too big in circumference to properly fit... can’t get it to lie flat in the lid’s groove- it’s wavy and redundant. I tried lubing it up to help it seal without luck.

I just started a beer. It’s fermenting. I have a tilt hydrometer and it’s dropped from 1.083 to 1.075 and when i opened it up to lube up the gasket it’s foamy. Yet no bubbles from the airlock. Not sure where else it could be leaking from. Bung in the lid is well seated.

Anyone else have trouble with this.

I don't own one so I can't speak from experience but my first thought is that when you were trying to put the gasket back in, it may have stretched at some point making it larger than needed now?

I don't own one so I can't speak from experience but my first thought is that when you were trying to put the gasket back in, it may have stretched at some point making it larger than needed now?

I can’t see how i could have stretched it but it seems that’s what happened. I lightly pried it out of the groove. Very strange

Try flipping it "inside-out" - mine only seems to seat right in one orientation. Also, make sure there's no residual sanitizer in the groove. Another thing, start by pressing in two sections directly across from one another, then press 1/2 way down between the seated sections, and keep dividing it up.

Mine is fussy too, and pretty much all of these need to be in order for it to seat.

Try flipping it "inside-out" - mine only seems to seat right in one orientation. Also, make sure there's no residual sanitizer in the groove. Another thing, start by pressing in two sections directly across from one another, then press 1/2 way down between the seated sections, and keep dividing it up.

Mine is fussy too, and pretty much all of these need to be in order for it to seat.

Sweet. Thanks for the tips!

Update, In case anyone else comes across this with the same issue...:

I’m pretty sure i ran my seal through the dishwasher awhile back. That must have messed it up. Tried the freezer trick, but no luck. Got a new seal in the mail today and it’s bubbling along nicely.

Last edited:
I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, and there isn’t much info available about this issue, so here goes… I used mine for the first time sprayed the silicone seal and it would not stay at all. thought I had it, but no it plopped right into the wort. It was well sanitized so I left it in. It was late I clamped down the lid with folded up foil to provide pressure (I have a pantry moth flitting around) anyway, this morning I used plastic wrap around the edge etc.
So it is recommended that after cleaned for next batch to not get sanitizer under the seal? It actually can sit in there and stay? What magic do you use? Help me Obiwan! @seanjwalker1

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, and there isn’t much info available about this issue, so here goes… I used mine for the first time sprayed the silicone seal and it would not stay at all. thought I had it, but no it plopped right into the wort. It was well sanitized so I left it in. It was late I clamped down the lid with folded up foil to provide pressure (I have a pantry moth flitting around) anyway, this morning I used plastic wrap around the edge etc.
So it is recommended that after cleaned for next batch to not get sanitizer under the seal? It actually can sit in there and stay? What magic do you use? Help me Obiwan! @seanjwalker1
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 I've never had any problem with the lid at all. Just the base getting broke. I managed to glue it back together. Have not used it yet again though. Funny you should write this as my base was missing in action and my wife just handed it to me today ??? I never sprayed the silicone seal and it's worked fine...might run into that problem when I have to do a replacement. I'm still miffed at Anvil for not helping. I would say reach out to the company but they are Sith Lords ! Perhaps try another seal ? They are rather cheap...May the Force be with you ! Always

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 I've never had any problem with the lid at all. Just the base getting broke. I managed to glue it back together. Have not used it yet again though. Funny you should write this as my base was missing in action and my wife just handed it to me today ??? I never sprayed the silicone seal and it's worked fine...might run into that problem when I have to do a replacement. I'm still miffed at Anvil for not helping. I would say reach out to the company but they are Sith Lords ! Perhaps try another seal ? They are rather cheap...May the Force be with you ! Always
Thanks for the reply I just don’t believe I’m the only one having this struggle, but by the lack of discussion I guess it’s so. After I clean it up from this batch I’ll let things dry and see if I can get that darn gasket to stay put without resorting to double sided tape.

Thanks for the reply I just don’t believe I’m the only one having this struggle, but by the lack of discussion I guess it’s so. After I clean it up from this batch I’ll let things dry and see if I can get that darn gasket to stay put without resorting to double sided tape.
IDK..maybe some food grade sealant grease ?

I just looked on Anvil's site for their replacement lid seal:
https://www.anvilbrewing.com/lid-seal-for-the-7-5-gallon-bucket-fermentor
Is it what it looks like, a flat ring? I'm not surprised it stretches, and won't make a seal once it's a tad larger: the extra length has nowhere to go.

If it can't be shrunk, you may need to remove a (small) piece:
Years ago, I read somewhere to slice such a seal on a diagonal (say 45-60° angle) then mark and remove the little overlap, cut at the same angle or as close as possible. Better be conservative and underestimate the length of the piece to remove, you can always cut another sliver off, for a better fit.

To "weld" the splice, apply a thin layer of some silicone over the joint. This will also fill any little voids or gap between the 2 ends. Food or aquarium grade would probably be preferred, but since it's only a very small amount, any silicone may well be fine. You do that while the seal is lying in the groove, and smooth the silicone out as much as you can 1/4 - 1/2" on each side of the joint. Avoid creating larger humps anywhere. Let set up overnight or faster, under low heat. If needed, use a razor blade to trim off any excess from the edges.

If you can apply the silicone thinly enough, you could probably silicone the flipside of the joint too, adding some extra strength. As long as you don't make the joint too thick, and keep it smooth, it should work.

Handle the gasket carefully, especially around the joint. The joint will always be a weak spot. For example, don't stretch it, or pull on either side. Instead, lift the joint area up, by sliding something thin underneath.

There is a certain art to getting that blasted silicone ring back in. I remove it after each use and send it through the top level of the dishwasher. When putting it back on, I place the ring in dry (slight lips facing me) and push it in all around straight down and not running my finger around the circumference. Then I place it onto the empty fermenter and lock it so it pushes the ring on tighter and press down all around. Not perfect but it works.

Has any one ever tried to weld the lid to the bucket and add a 4 inch Tri clamp to the lid. I’m actually thinking about doing this, but not sure if it is financially feasible. It would certainly avoid this issue. Also could add a Tri clamp to pick up tube. If it’s doable financially, you could then ferment under pressure as well. I do like the fermenter, but the leaking is a pain to deal with. I have a Vienna lager fermenting now and no sign of fermentation but I have confirmed through hydrometer readings that fermentation is coming along nicely.

Has any one ever tried to weld the lid to the bucket and add a 4 inch Tri clamp to the lid. I’m actually thinking about doing this, but not sure if it is financially feasible. It would certainly avoid this issue. Also could add a Tri clamp to pick up tube. If it’s doable financially, you could then ferment under pressure as well. I do like the fermenter, but the leaking is a pain to deal with. I have a Vienna lager fermenting now and no sign of fermentation but I have confirmed through hydrometer readings that fermentation is coming along nicely.
You can make those clamps a little tighter by bending them slightly or putting a small piece of tubing where it clamps the lid. It should seal any leaks better.

There is probably some type of valve out there that could fit in the top hole to seal it. Never really looked though.

I thought the fermenter was leaking bad once where there was zero activity. Turned out I forgot to put the inner piece in of the 3 piece airlock. Duh.

Possibly not relevant to the Anvil bucket, but just in case...

Spike tells us to put their fermenter gasket into the groove in a particular manner : start at one point, then (instead of running around the circumference) push in the opposite point, then deal with the (equal) halves - I push in the north and south, then east and west, then press in the four (equal) quarters.
Best of luck!

On my 7.5 bucket I've taken my seal out a few times to clean and it wasn't easy to get back in to fit snug. I don't even bother taking it out anymore. When cleaning I wipe it down with a cloth soaked in PBW then rinse well. Before use I take a soggy wash cloth soaked in Star San and slop it over the inside and outside of lid. Out of the 30 or so times I've done this I've had no infection.

DMF

Possibly not relevant to the Anvil bucket, but just in case...

Spike tells us to put their fermenter gasket into the groove in a particular manner : start at one point, then (instead of running around the circumference) push in the opposite point, then deal with the (equal) halves - I push in the north and south, then east and west, then press in the four (equal) quarters.
Best of luck!
That's an excellent tip! ^
Using that method prevents the gasket from stretching, as running around the circumference could/would.

On my 7.5 bucket I've taken my seal out a few times to clean and it wasn't easy to get back in to fit snug. I don't even bother taking it out anymore. When cleaning I wipe it down with a cloth soaked in PBW then rinse well. Before use I take a soggy wash cloth soaked in Star San and slop it over the inside and outside of lid. Out of the 30 or so times I've done this I've had no infection.

DMF
That’s about what I did for a while until one day I did get an infection. I can’t be sure the infection was from the lid but when I did remove the gasket, there was crud in it. Now I remove it every time. I suppose one could boil the lid for a bit with the gasket on to sterilize it if you have a pot big enough. Haven’t tried that though.

Well the good news is my beer was tasty, and I cleaned and let the gasket dry it went in to the lid just fine there does seem to be a slight beveled edge, which I probably had upside down because now it doesn’t flop out at all. Thanks for the tips!

Back