Anti-Boil over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbuddy

Reaction score
My first batch in my 30 qt turkey fryer was an extract kit with a 3 gallon boil and it boiled over several times.

This last batch was an AG full 6.5 gallon boil with no problems. The diff was a little SS disk SWMBO got as a gift at a Pampered Chef party. Just place at the bottom of the brew pot.

Pretty unrelated but putting butter in boiling food of any kind stops boil overs. Sure this wont work with wort but figured Id throw it out there any way. I dont see much point in that disk.

Like I said it was free and one site did explain the science of why it works. Since I don't have much room in the pot I won't be brewing without it.

How did you manage to boil over 3 gallons in a 30 qt pot? I've done up to 4 gallons in a 20 qt pot with no problems. Do you have your flame up to high? You don't need a hard boil, just a nice rolling one.

I fill my keggle with 13.5 gallons and crank the 20 PSI burner on high, add 10 drops of foam control and no boil overs ever, I dont even have to be concerned when I add the larger hop additions.
I love foam control drops, I even use em in my primary now so I dont have to mess with a blow off tube.

Fermcap-S.jpg

As soon as I added the hops it was like a volcano kept pulling it off and adjusting the flame with little success.

I've got a glass one, and somehow it works. I brew in a 7.5 gallon pot with one small boilover, when I didn't use the glass thingy to see if it mattered.

I think they are sold as 'pot watchers.' I've placed things like saucers in large pot to keep them from boiling over. I think it's about nucleation sites during the boil.

My current favorite for anti-boilover is an oscillating fan blowing over the surface of the wort. I haven't thought about pot watchers in a while and I might have to try them again.

EeryBug, I think you're right on the nucleation thing, if you watch it in a clear liquid, you can see the bubbles coming off it. A fan is a good idea to.

I am going to try dense pumice ( bbq stones ) in my next beer batch. Thos them in ... they should act like the boiling stones like I used in the lab to stop boilovers.

I've heard you can use coins or nuts (the metal kind - :cross: ) to achieve the same nucleation effect.

Me, I keep a spray bottle of bottled water handy. When the foam rises up, I give it a few quick sprays while I reduce the heat. "Down boy, DOWN!"

Just add (4) eye of nute (3) bat wings & (3) live lizards, stir your boiling cauldron while chanting Wort is good......wort is good......wort is good :D

SuperiorBrew said:
I fill my keggle with 13.5 gallons and crank the 20 PSI burner on high, add 10 drops of foam control and no boil overs ever, I dont even have to be concerned when I add the larger hop additions.
I love foam control drops, I even use em in my primary now so I dont have to mess with a blow off tube.

Fermcap-S.jpg

+1 here. I've used Fermcap-S in my primary for many years and swear by it. I just started using it in the kettle, and it works great.

TL

I am usually here surfing HBT while my wort is boiling out in the garage, I bring my timer in here with me and just run out for quick hop additions

Back