Another WTF moment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
Would you ask Charlie Papazian how to get a sanke tap onto your Miller Lite keg?

Exactly.

I am going to see EO Wilson give a lecture this evening. If you don't know who EO Wilson is (and most people outside of science/biology don't), he is the grandaddy of sociobiology, a very important and fascinating field, and an accomplished and highly regarded entomologist.

A co-worker of mine plans to attend as well...and plans to ask Dr. Wilson how to get rid of the ants in her kitchen.

WTF????

Seriously, talk to a goddamn exterminator. I know he's an expert in ant behavior, but get some freaking boric acid and don't harass him with stupid questions.

Sorry - this just pissed me off. I am more uptight about it than he would be, I'm sure.

That is all. :mug:

It seems like a common thing.

Years ago I got the opportunity to see the Chief of Naval Operations speak (more like I was "volunteered" to attend). This is for those who don't know the senior active duty leader in the Navy.

When it came time for Q & A, people asked silly questions left and right. Questions that could have been answered by people a lot farther down in the Chain of Command, questions that could have been found by reading, and questions about changing policies that he had absolutely no control over.

If I were you, I'd try to tie your co-worker up in a closet for the duration of the presentation, or sit as far away from her as possible to avoid the glaring stares and head shaking that is sure to come.

Wasn't this the plot of this week's Family Guy?

Yes, but without the benefit of Patrick Stewart OR those awesome skin-rash questions. ;)

McKBrew - I think I will do that (sit far from her, she's not my favorite person as it is). Hopefully she won't be completely ridiculous and ask in front of the entire assembly. I think she means to corner him afterward. Maybe I can beat her to the punch and start asking about something more engrossing that he could be long-winded about. :D

Would you ask Charlie Papazian how to get a sanke tap onto your Miller Lite keg?

Exactly.

I am going to see EO Wilson give a lecture this evening. If you don't know who EO Wilson is (and most people outside of science/biology don't), he is the grandaddy of sociobiology, a very important and fascinating field, and an accomplished and highly regarded entomologist.

A co-worker of mine plans to attend as well...and plans to ask Dr. Wilson how to get rid of the ants in her kitchen.

WTF????

Seriously, talk to a goddamn exterminator. I know he's an expert in ant behavior, but get some freaking boric acid and don't harass him with stupid questions.

Sorry - this just pissed me off. I am more uptight about it than he would be, I'm sure.

I wouldn't worry about it, my girlfriend interviewed James Watson when she was at MIT and apparently he was far more interested in her breasts than answering questions about DNA.

Maybe an extermination question is gonna interest him far more than the standard fare of questions.

How foolish! He should have kept his eye on the ball. By studying her DNA he could recreate her breasts!

Seriously, talk to a goddamn exterminator.

The exterminator will just recommend a treatment program whereby he has to come out weekly in order to really get rid of the ants.:D

I hear you though. Some people just have no cooth. If I were him, I'd answer her by telling her that studies have shown that putting up tiny little signs that read "No ants permitted" around the perimeter of the house has proven effective.

Exactly.

WTF????

I have a whole bunch of boric acid you can have if you want it ;)

I have a whole bunch of boric acid you can have if you want it ;)

Can I throw it on her face???

Aw, that was just nasty. ;)

Yeah, Tench - I've heard some less-than-awesome things about Watson. I don't actually know what EO Wilson is like (I've only heard him speak publicly), but he doesn't seem like a ****** (unlike the DNA-structure-stealing sexist).

Jeepers, you scientists are an uptight lot.

:p

No we're not, I just don't like this woman, so it makes anything she does 10,000x more awful to me than it really is. :mad: :eek:

Plus, I would never ask Julia Child (can't now anyway!) how to reheat a can of Chef Boyardee Barfaroni.

On second thought, how uptight can you be when you're willing to sleep on a bathroom floor?

I'll spare you the indignity of reposting the picture.:D

On second thought, how uptight can you be when you're willing to sleep on a bathroom floor?

I'll spare you the indignity of reposting the picture.:D

Bathroom floors are awesome, Mr. I-don't-sleep-on-bathroom-floors. You've got to be REALLY non-uptight, walking around men's locker rooms, seeing full-on dangles while you conduct your interviews.

(Don't tell me that's not what it's like.)

Can I throw it on her face???

Aw, that was just nasty. ;)

Yeah, Tench - I've heard some less-than-awesome things about Watson. I don't actually know what EO Wilson is like (I've only heard him speak publicly), but he doesn't seem like a ****** (unlike the DNA-structure-stealing sexist).

Yeah I am sure Rosalind Franklin had an even lower opinion :)

Bathroom floors are awesome, Mr. I-don't-sleep-on-bathroom-floors. You've got to be REALLY non-uptight, walking around men's locker rooms, seeing full-on dangles while you conduct your interviews.

(Don't tell me that's not what it's like.)
My tendency is not to look at dangles. It helps that lockerrooms in college sports are mostly off limits these days.

Now, having been in NFL lockerrooms .... :drunk:

how to get rid of the ants in her kitchen.

Well,,. there MAY be a scientific side viewpoint to the mundane subject.

How do you know Mr. Wilson does not have something to say about it?

Other/Scientific; (one of) Galileo's telescope(s) will be on display in Pennsylvania. There is a handwritten technical note by the man himself on the thing

May I suggest keeping your pimphand strong?

pimp_hand.jpg

That is an awesome picture! :D

Luckily, my co-worker did not corner Dr. Wilson and ask him anything asinine.

His lecture was amazing - inspirational, informative, engaging, and funny. I just wanted to bundle him up and take him with me!

The Q&A session was predictably lackluster (on the part of the participants, not E.O. Wilson), with your usual 4-5 egomaniacs that are really just getting up to ask a question to show off how smart they are... Ugh.

And something very cool that he mentioned is a free online encyclopedia that a cooperative of institutes and universities are working together to create:
Encyclopedia of Life

I think E.O. Wilson said last night that it is 8 million pages so far, and they expect it to reach 50 million by the time they are done describing all 1,800,000 species on the planet.

Back