another use for your carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrrseio

Reaction score
...delicious cold brew coffee

there are a lot of recipes online, but the basic idea is to combine roughly 1lb of fresh grounds per gallon of water, steep for 24hrs at room temperature and then to strain.

the resulting concentrate has much less acidity and bitterness than hot coffee, but most of the caffeine. the flavor profile is different, but very much still coffee. it has its own distinct sweetness, especially in contrast with what other brew methods yield.

a carboy lets you mass brew, which reduces much of the overhead time. i prepare about 1.5 gal of coldbrew from a 3lb bag of costco beans and then have coffee for a month.

be careful, though: the coffee oils are sticky and you will have to clean your carboy with cleancaf or something similar.

I'm not sure what this has to do with brewing beer, other than the word "Carboy".

My guess is there are a fair number of coffee roasters on this forum. Cold brewed coffee cannot extract a lot of the volatiles which make a great cup of coffee. Cold brewed coffee can make badly roasted beans tolerable. I also find people who think they like dark roasts, really don't, and most commercial beans are way over-roasted for consistency. Over-roasting mutes varietal and regional flavors.

Start roasting coffee from a known origin, drink it hot, there is zero comparison to any other method. I'm not sure what I would do with more than 1 hours worth of coffee. :)

I'm not sure what this has to do with brewing beer, other than the word "Carboy".

My guess is there are a fair number of coffee roasters on this forum. Cold brewed coffee cannot extract a lot of the volatiles which make a great cup of coffee. Cold brewed coffee can make badly roasted beans tolerable. I also find people who think they like dark roasts, really don't, and most commercial beans are way over-roasted for consistency. Over-roasting mutes varietal and regional flavors.

Start roasting coffee from a known origin, drink it hot, there is zero comparison to any other method. I'm not sure what I would do with more than 1 hours worth of coffee. :)

Interesting. Have you cold brewed with home-roasted beans? I've been roasting for about a year now (using a popcorn popper) and I've been extremely happy with the results - I can actually drink coffee that hasn't been burned.

But I was thinking about cold brewing again next summer with home-roasted beans because of how much I'm loving the flavor. If I can get my CO2 setup done, I can probably even remove oxygen from the headspace in the sealed glass carafe I put the toddy coffee in.

As far as what it has to do with beer brewing, it looks like they've created a fermenting bucket that comes with a built-in filter. Maybe good for beer filtering :)

http://www.toddycafe.com/business/coffeehouses.php

sorry if slightly off-topic threads aren't allowed, i'm still new here. i thought it would be of interest though.

i agree that most commercially available roasts are burned. in the bay area, we have peet's, blue bottle, verde....a lot of good companies.

cold brew represents a bit of a compromise for my fiance and me. we have a rancilio silvia for espresso, but she hasn't mastered it and just wants something easy, caffeinated and palatable. i make espresso when i can.

Back