another stuck fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwohlenhaus

Reaction score
I have an all-grain Lemon Lime Hefeweizen version from SD-Slim that I used Wyeast 3333 on (WL Hefe IV unavailable at time of ingredient purchase). I followed the grain bill. Mashed for 45 Min 154. Boiled for one hour. OG 1.051. transfered wort by siphoning after chilling to 68 Deg. First time using anything but a dry yeast. Removed from fridge about 6-7 hrs prior to brewing, smacked the pack at 4 hrs prior. Package had started to swell but was not swollen to the max where it seemed like it was going to blow up. Capped off wort and noticed vigorous fermentation w/in 16 hrs. Steady temp of 67-68 on primary exterior. At 5 days added Limeaide and wow did it take off (first experience with a blow-off tube as well). Fermented strong for about 3-4 days. Checked my SG at 2 weeks and it was 1.024. Checked again 4 days later and it was still 1.024. Total time in the fermenter as of 3-27 is 3 weeks. I believe my errors were one or both of not aerating wort prior to pitching yeast and not waiting for the yeast to swell further. So sort of looking for input on that, but more so would I be able to pitch more yeast that has had a good starter w/DME to finish it out or would I be safe priming and bottling as is. I do not want to have 52 little bottle bombs sitting in my basement. The beer is DELICIOUS as is and I look forward to the next batch with the correct yeast and technique to mimic Slim's beer. It has been a while since my last AG batch and I did not look back through my notes to see if I have aerated by stirring in the past, but I know that I usually just dump the wort into primary instead of siphoning, but I wanted to try to get some of the lime zest and hops residue out of it. I also read that Hefe IV requires more oxygen in the wort than an Ale yeast, which is all I have used in the past (I am not sure if 3333 is the same being a Hefe strain as well).

So in a nutshell,
1. can I do anything at this point to try to get it to finish fermenting
2. If I can't do #1 can I safely prime and bottle as is and just have a sweeter than intended finished beer?

Looking for any questions, comments, or concerns.

EDIT....
I was just reading through some other threads and noticed something. I purchased a refractometer and this is the first time I have used it. I was taking the readings for FG with it. Will try a hydrometer to see what I come up with. That would make complete and total sense with how vigorous it was fermenting and for how long compared to the FG that I was getting.

I will update when I get a reading.

Last edited:
you could Pitch some Nottingham on it , I dont think at this point it would change the flavor much. You could also Bottle it if your sure the gravity is stable. If it was mine I would pitch some nottingham.:mug:

well I took a hydrometer reading and I am at 1.005 FG. The thought had crossed my mind that this refractometer is almost too good to be true. So I am sitting at around 6.5% ABV including the limeaide addition adjustment and it is delicious. will be bottling this week probably on Thursday to get it conditioning (already a week behind the ready to drink date, darnit).

Thank you for the quick reply chelishubby

Back