Another San Diego question thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadScott

Reaction score
Hi gang, got my new "job" over here at this site and have a question that has probably been asked several times(don't ban me as a "troll" please!).
My daughter is going to be delivering us our first grandchild anytime from two weeks from now, to early April. I'm contemplating taking a road trip to Alpine during our stay there but I need to know if it's a major PITA to go there. I don't mind the drive of 45 minutes of nothingness, that's what radio is for. I'll go there to buy bottles if available, and maybe a growler. My question is this: What is the hoppy delights they offer? I'm a dweeb who loves DIPA and triple IPA's, but not malty. I like Simtra, Pliny, Hoptologist, Citra Showers, etc. What Alpine offering is crisp and delicious like those I've mentioned?
I know it's gotta be worth the drive because of you folks mentioning it.
OR, should I just go to Societe and grab a growler of Pupil (they were out when I visited them last, never had it) ????
I know it's an old and stale topic and hopefully Suicidal won't delete and warn me while in the restroom...HA...

Nelson. Duet. Pure Hoppiness.

Go. Stay. Drink. You'll thank me later.

Pupil is an acceptable substitute.

Hit me up when you head to Alpine and I'll grab a pint with you. Unless you're not into the whole internet-stranger-grindr date thing. But srsly, i live right down the hill from ABC.

Hit me up when you head to Alpine and I'll grab a pint with you. Unless you're not into the whole internet-stranger-grindr date thing. But srsly, i live right down the hill from ABC.

I'm a people person and not wigged out about internet stuff.
we can exchange phone #'s via pm's, or email me direct: [email protected]

Hi gang, got my new "job" over here at this site and have a question that has probably been asked several times(don't ban me as a "troll" please!).
My daughter is going to be delivering us our first grandchild anytime from two weeks from now, to early April. I'm contemplating taking a road trip to Alpine during our stay there but I need to know if it's a major PITA to go there. I don't mind the drive of 45 minutes of nothingness, that's what radio is for. I'll go there to buy bottles if available, and maybe a growler. My question is this: What is the hoppy delights they offer? I'm a dweeb who loves DIPA and triple IPA's, but not malty. I like Simtra, Pliny, Hoptologist, Citra Showers, etc. What Alpine offering is crisp and delicious like those I've mentioned?
I know it's gotta be worth the drive because of you folks mentioning it.
OR, should I just go to Societe and grab a growler of Pupil (they were out when I visited them last, never had it) ????
I know it's an old and stale topic and hopefully Suicidal won't delete and warn me while in the restroom...HA...

Where in San Diego, Scott? San Diego is a very big (in geographical area) city. You could be in "San Diego" as some people call it and within a 20 minute drive of Alpine.

Be very careful with that Dom guy, though. [grin]

Be very careful with that Dom guy, though. [grin]

best-rape-van-ever.jpg

yea, Alpine is an easy drive from downtown SD. 25-30min maybe?

I made the trip when I was there in Dec. Started out around 11am and went to Alpine, then Societe, AleSmith, Ballast Point, Lost Abbey, Stone and finally in-and-out.

Have fun!

Never quite sure where this belief came from...

Alpine is no further away from San Diego than Stone's brewery is.

And all paved, clear, normal roads (other than when Alpine was tore up by SDG&E). Not like it's driving out to HF or something.

tonight might be the night, daughter thinks delivery is near!
might be in the big SD tomorrow if things go accordingly.
probably hit Alpine Wednesday, excited for both occasions, grandpa and Alpine!

Last edited:
will this be your first time trying alpine?
Yes it will be my first time. My son in law lives there and has never been either, but has always wanted to go. He likes his fine beer as I do, but can't handle much of it. I may invite him to go along if he's not loaded at work.

Looks like last nights contractions have subsided, so the waiting game continues...no road trip yet

Yes it will be my first time. My son in law lives there and has never been either, but has always wanted to go. He likes his fine beer as I do, but can't handle much of it. I may invite him to go along if he's not loaded at work.

Going to Alpine for lunch during the week often results in one being loaded at work.

Looks like last nights contractions have subsided, so the waiting game continues...no road trip yet
alpine makes the best ipas in the world, you are in for it

Looking forward to it, I love me some IPA's.

Will they fill other breweries growlers? Probably a stupid question since every brewer seems to have an excuse to NOT fill growlers other than their own?
Alpine is one of the worst offenders - their glass only. They may or may not have empties to sell you.

Probably a stupid question since every brewer seems to have an excuse to NOT fill growlers other than their own?

Only the stupid ones. Or the ones who don't have enough beer to go around as-is (RR), but that doesn't seem to stop places like Sante Adairius.

Never heard from Dom, but hey, that's cool, maybe he can message me. I'm heading down today, the water has broke and she's been admitted to the hospital, today is the day! I'm going to try try try to sneak off Tuesday or Wednesday to get to Alpine, it will be a quick trip, flying home Thursday and will have my house to myself for a week and a half, liver be prepared, you've been warned!!!

Never heard from Dom, but hey, that's cool, maybe he can message me. I'm heading down today, the water has broke and she's been admitted to the hospital, today is the day! I'm going to try try try to sneak off Tuesday or Wednesday to get to Alpine, it will be a quick trip, flying home Thursday and will have my house to myself for a week and a half, liver be prepared, you've been warned!!!
Sorry, was waiting to hear exactly when you'd be in town. Congratulations! I'll shoot you a message in the am to see what your schedule is like and maybe we'll meet up. :)

I talked the old lady into joining me yesterday. the kids needed some alone time, worked out well. half hour drive was nothing! hit the restaurant to do the sample flights. I have to admit that Nelson didn't look too appealing at all, and I was reluctant to even try it. thought it was great, bought four bottles. I liked it the best out of all their varieties!
mother and new baby are doing well and I might extend my visit, supposed to fly home tomorrow. thinking about lost abbey, never been there...ha!

did I say something wrong?
does the color of Nelson not look like any other out there?
It looks more like an I PEE A...with bubbles!

I think if you’re not used to the new wave SD-style beers (and still consider Green Flash IPA an SD-style beer) then it’s confusing. This is the way IPAs are meant to be though – light body, fruity and/or floral hops, mild bittering. :) Up in your neck of the woods, if you can get a hold of any Cellarmaker or Faction, they’re following the SD way.

I really REALLY like Nelson. Our waitress thought this was the best batch ever. If I lived in SD I would frequent Alpine!
I really like Stone's IPA when its very fresh too, its like candy, having one right now.
The kids bring the baby home tonight, so I'm prepping them a nice bbq steak dinner and have four Alpine varieties for them to partake in if they choose. if they decline, all mine!

I really REALLY like Nelson. Our waitress thought this was the best batch ever. If I lived in SD I would frequent Alpine!
I really like Stone's IPA when its very fresh too, its like candy, having one right now.
The kids bring the baby home tonight, so I'm prepping them a nice bbq steak dinner and have four Alpine varieties for them to partake in if they choose. if they decline, all mine!

Beer allegedly helps the milk production while nursing.....

I had some Hoppy Birthday on Saturday, as well as Duet, Nelson, Pure Hoppiness, Alpine Ale (which was damn good but I never hear anyone talking about that) and Odin's Raven (holy **** awesome). My favorites were Nelson and Hoppy Birthday but the Pure Hoppiness was also much better than I remember. All spectacular. Brought home a growler of Nelson and shared it last night and the mouthfeel on it is so smooth and silky and Jesus now I want more! I bought 2 bottles of Nelson and Duet but it's not nearly enough.

Back