another priming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dub

Reaction score
I have a racer 5 clone that i will be bottling today, but during the transfer to the second, i only managed to collect 4 gallons of beer. My priming procedure has always been to boil 4oz of corn sugar with 2 cups of water. I don't want to over carbonate this batch. How can i achieve proper carbonation in this situation?

My first batch was a First Born Pale Ale and I too only yielded 4 gallons after fermentation. I didn't think to decrease the 5oz of dextrose that I added during bottling and was worried that I might get bottle bombs. I just cracked open my 1st bottle yesterday after 7 days conditioning at room temp and 4 hours in the frig. I was happy to find the carbonation was not bad at all!

I am not familiar with your recipe, but I would think 4 oz should be ok. The Joy of Homebrewing suggests 6oz for a 5 gallon batch. After I read that I calculated that ratio would be 4.8oz for 4 gallons and I felt better.

Here's a dumb question. I am assuming that 4oz is a dry weight and I will need a scale? I have been using 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar.

Back