another partial mash vs. steeping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Originally had a recipe for a partial mash. planned on doing a black ipa with it being in the higher range of abv for the style. the problem was that with my capacity, i wasn't really mashing enough grains to make a difference. so i decided to just go extract with steeping grains. so i went with the higher volume of water per kg of grain, and only got rid of my pilsner malts from the grain bill, and just added sugar in the end. (because of all of the specialty grains i was doing, the amount i was able to add from the pilsner malt was only .4% estimated abv, so it just was not worth it to do the extra work for the mash.)
so i get to the end and measure my SG, and i'm 2 liters higher than expected with an SG .06 point higher than expected. so now i'm wondering, did i effectively do a 30 minute mash, because one of my "specialty" grains that i left in there was carawheat malt?
not that i'm complaining or anything, now i have 2 liters extra and if it ferments all the way out as expected it should be 8.1%, just not what was originally anticipated, and may end up not being bitter enough considering how sweet it could end up being.

Latest posts

Back