another noob making a MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
so my question is about the braid.... is bigger better (no jokes) should i go with the water heater supply line 1" or got with 1/2" and make a shape on the bottom of the cooler ?

I don't think it matters as long as everything "fits" nice and snug and that the braid is stainless not plastic.

I did find that the cheapass metal braid I bought collapsed during mash out (I did not use the plastic tube lining as had been suggested). So that added some annoyance factor to an otherwise perfect brewday.

I am going to add the plastic tube lining to the metal braid (using the 1/2"), as the tubing is fairly easy to come by.

If you've got a false bottom, you're not going to need the liner. If you think there's even the slightest chance the braid will crush, use a liner. Otherwise, it's totally up to you.

i do plan on wrapping the braid in copper wire to prevent it from crushing.

but my question is do you want more of the wort to be able to get out more quickly or is slower better or does none of this matter because it can be controlled through the ball valve ?

I use about a 10" length of washing machine supply w/ nothing inside and it works flawlessly. I believe it is 3/4". I would reccomend either this, or the 1" water heater supply braid. The water heater braids are pretty sturdy and should be fine as is. IMO most of the wort enters the braid within the first few inches, so again IMO the configuration of the braid for batch sparging is kind of irrelevant.

wilserbrewer said:
I use about a 10" length of washing machine supply w/ nothing inside and it works flawlessly. I believe it is 3/4". I would reccomend either this, or the 1" water heater supply braid. The water heater braids are pretty sturdy and should be fine as is. IMO most of the wort enters the braid within the first few inches, so again IMO the configuration of the braid for batch sparging is kind of irrelevant.

So the braid you use it is exiting the tun through what size nipple? Because if you have the 3/4" braid going into a 3/8" nipple what is the advantage of a larger braid

Ok ill return the one I have and go bigger. but I will be fly sparging

The braids are great for batch sparging, but not so much for fly sparging. You may want to consider building a manifold or buying a false bottom to help prevent channeling. Or you could stay with the braid design and batch sparge instead.

Because if you have the 3/4" braid going into a 3/8" nipple what is the advantage of a larger braid

The larger braids are typically sturdier and less prone to getting crushed or kinked from stirring.

if you batch sparging 1/2 dia braid is fine, the length is not critical. I started with a 12 inch long braid and shortened it to 5 inches and run off was not effected.

i have a 54 qt cabelas cooler with a 14 inch long 1/2 s/s braid. i did make a copper wire coil to put on the inside of the braid just to avoid crushing it while stirring, and i attached a 1/2 inch s/s bolt to the other end of the braid with a hose clamp just to add some weight to it to keep it on the bottom of the cooler

Has any one seen these. ? Its a corrugated supply line. Would that be better with holes drilled in it than the braid?

img.jpeg

yeah i have spent 2hours in lowes and depot trying to decide what way to go ... so far i have a 18"x3/4' braid i think im going to use

Back