another newbie!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottamud

Reaction score
Just wanted to say HI. Im-a-newbie...thats fer sure! A little intro about myself...I'm in Indiana (just west of Lafayette in Williamsport), a long time pipe-fitter welder (so SS welding of tubing and such is not an issue), work for a major pharmacuetical company (Prozac). Now...I have never EVER brewed before! Been seeing those little Mr. Beer kits and wanting to try it. Well the little lady got it for me. Since then (only a week) I've been looking on line about home brewing..DAMN!! I had no idea. Now I'm all excited and she rolls her eyes at me (another project). So, with all this said... I will be needing help and answers.
But until then....HELLO ALL!
Talk at ya later
Brian

Welcome aboard Brian- You will find this site is a wealth of knowledge. I too am just starting up (3 batches so far), and this site has been a great help. While you are online, check out John Palmer's "How To Brew" . I find myself referring to it a lot. It is great info for a starter.

Happy Brewing

hey brian! glad you found us. you soon will be consumed as we all are! we take all questions and there's always good, informative answers from this good bunch.
what type of brews do you enjoy?

Lafayette, I sort of remember where that is, I was raised in Crete, IL which is just west of the Indiana border.

I got my start with a "Brew Sack" five years and about 500 gallons ago. I'll second the Palmer book.

Well...I thank you all for the welcome! :D
Williamsport is only about 25 miles or less East of Danville Illinois and about 30 miles West of Lafayette. Right in the middle of nowhere! So..how's everyone likin' this cold ass weather? I hate it! But alas! Thats what I get for staying in the midwest, guess I just need to accept it. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome. I'm sure I have a million questions for you guys. I guess I'll just have to sit down and categorize them so I don't lose track.
Laters
Brian

Only a million questions? Thanks for narrowing it down for us. We should be able to get the answers to you before the sun comes out again next April!

I'm in IL near the Mississippi River. I actually work at Rock Island, on the island, not in the town.

I'm leaving for Texas on Sunday. I hope we don't get too much snow before then. :(

Well, welding SS is just about as easy as it gets. There again, as with the brewing, cleanliness is everything. We do tons of it where I work, along with lots of other "exotic" metals...Hastelloy, Titanium...
I guess this brings up question number 1...why use so much copper tubing instead of SS tubing? Other than cost, is there another reason?

For me it's cost, ease of construction (Equipment and skill) and availability.

when I satrted brewing and read about contamination of wort I was worried about using copper. But then I thought old comercial breweries and distilleries use copper and I've since read copper oxide is a good nutriant for yeast.

Stainless does look nicer and is easier to clean ad stronger though.

Welcome to the forum gottamud. It's going to be great having you on board..I have a lot of welding questions regarding my brewery setup ..hope you can help.

gottamud said:
Well, welding SS is just about as easy as it gets. There again, as with the brewing, cleanliness is everything. We do tons of it where I work, along with lots of other "exotic" metals...Hastelloy, Titanium...
I guess this brings up question number 1...why use so much copper tubing instead of SS tubing? Other than cost, is there another reason?

Yes, cost is primary reason for most bits like valves and bulkheads and such also most of us don't have a TIG welder sitting in our garrage. Then heat transfer is a big issue when you're talking about wort chillers. Personally, even if I could afford it, I wouldn't have a stainless tubing wort chiller, the thermal transfer just wouldn't be effecient enough. The copper coil works good and like Orfy already said, it's good for your brew.

Thanks to all for your support...I can tell already this is going to be great! So, on with my first question. Now, this may sound really stupid but...could somebody show me a flow? Kind of like a flow chart. Ya know, a drawing of picture or something, showing we start here, then flows to here, do this there and that there. I really kind of need something like this just to get my head in the game . Im reading all kinds of stuff and getting confused as hell, with people using pots for this or that....so can somebody help me out? By the way, I'm already working on stuff here at work, getting my valves and stuff..SS Worchester valves.
Anyway I appreciate whatever you can do for me.
Brian

Thanks....so far all I have is great feedback from you guys. I am defineatly (sp?) doing a lot of reading.

I was looking here at work for some surplus equipment that I might be able to use...and came across this listing on one of our "surplus stores" websites. That you guys might be interested!
Have a good one!
Brian

Home Listing #26078: Complete Brewery on EquipNet.com
Complete Brewery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Listing Title: Complete Brewery
Listing Number: 26078
Quantity: 1
Listing Price: Seller's Acceptable Currency Your Currency View
€960,000.00 EUR $1,152,287.53 USD

All offers are submitted in Seller's Acceptable Currency.

View all Plants

Why We Recommend Inspection

Email this page to a colleague
Conversion Tools
Currency Calculator

This item is no longer available.

Complete brewery with capacity 3.000.000 liter beer in bottles and 600.000 liter in barrels. Brewery with malt silos, store-tanks, fermantation tanks, cip- cleaning station, beer filtration system,bottle washing and filling line, barrel filler, pallet - store machine, case- controller, case - washer, etc.

Bottling Line
Adjusted to 0,5 lt. NRW-bottle, in module crate on EURO-Pallet.
Unpacker, make Stuchenbach, for 10.000 bph, by 0,5 lt. NRW bottle, built 1992
Crate washer, self made
Bottle washer, make PAC, for 10.000 bph, built 1992, with double bow
Inspector, make Bary Wehmiller, type Optiscan 4, for caustic-, Bottom- and Mouth control, with in 2000 renewed Elektronic
Filler, make Cortellazzi, type Vega 32/6, 32 Filling valves, built 1992, with double preevacuation, R->L, with Hilge-Pump
Labeller, make Gernep, built 1988, for Body, neck and back label, overhauled in 2001
1-head-packer, make Joha, built 1992
full crate control, make Stiftland Elektronik, built 1994
bottle unscrambler, make Stock, built 1995
Palletizer, make Joha, type Rubin, built 1992
Roller conveyors / bottle belts, built 1992

KEG - plant
KEG-cleaner, make Scheuer, 3-head, 40 KEGs/h, built 1989, with 3 detergent container; Machine is unused as pre-cleaner
KEG-plant, make M + F, type 4/2, built 1994, 40 KEGs/h

Manufacturer Unknown
Capacity Speed 40.000hl/p.a TONS/DAY
Removal Difficulty MODERATE

Contact Information
If you need further information, please contact our Sales Department at 888.371.6555, outside USA at +1.781.821.3482, or click here to send us a message, or by email to [email protected]

Payment Methods:
Certified Check, Bank Check, Company Check w/Bank Guarantee, or Wire Transfer

Crating, Rigging, and Shipping Info:
Buyer is responsible for all crating and shipping charges. EquipNet can furnish a quote upon request. Please contact [email protected].

Disclaimer
Please note: All listing descriptions take precedence over what may be showing in the photo. If you have any questions at all on this listing, please contact EquipNet.

gottamud said:
I was looking here at work for some surplus equipment that I might be able to use...and came across this listing on one of our "surplus stores" websites. That you guys might be interested!
Listing Title: Complete Brewery
Listing Price:€960,000.00 EUR $1,152,287.53 USD

Complete brewery with capacity 3.000.000 liter beer in bottles and 600.000 liter in barrels. Brewery with malt silos, store-tanks, fermantation tanks, cip- cleaning station, beer filtration system,bottle washing and filling line, barrel filler, pallet - store machine, case- controller, case - washer, etc.

Bottling Line
Adjusted to 0,5 lt. NRW-bottle, in module crate on EURO-Pallet.
Unpacker, make Stuchenbach, for 10.000 bph, by 0,5 lt. NRW bottle, built 1992
Crate washer, self made
Bottle washer, make PAC, for 10.000 bph, built 1992, with double bow
Inspector, make Bary Wehmiller, type Optiscan 4, for caustic-, Bottom- and Mouth control, with in 2000 renewed Elektronic
Filler, make Cortellazzi, type Vega 32/6, 32 Filling valves, built 1992, with double preevacuation, R->L, with Hilge-Pump
Labeller, make Gernep, built 1988, for Body, neck and back label, overhauled in 2001
1-head-packer, make Joha, built 1992
full crate control, make Stiftland Elektronik, built 1994
bottle unscrambler, make Stock, built 1995
Palletizer, make Joha, type Rubin, built 1992
Roller conveyors / bottle belts, built 1992

KEG - plant
KEG-cleaner, make Scheuer, 3-head, 40 KEGs/h, built 1989, with 3 detergent container; Machine is unused as pre-cleaner
KEG-plant, make M + F, type 4/2, built 1994, 40 KEGs/h

Manufacturer Unknown
Capacity Speed 40.000hl/p.a TONS/DAY
Removal Difficulty MODERATE

Have you any pictures?

orfy - This is your new project!!!!! :D

Welcome aboard gottamud! hope you enjoy the site!

Back