another need help with hops plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncweasel

Reaction score
Can some of you more experienced hops growers help identity what is going on with my first year cascade. I started seeing this problem about a week ago and sprayed down plants with insecticidal soap. Once 9 days ago and once yesterday. I don't see any critters on leaves. I have fertilized once with Peters plant food mix (20-20-20). Mixed as directions said but only used about 16 oz on each hill.

ForumRunner_20130605_154936.jpg

ForumRunner_20130605_154945.jpg

Could be any number of things. Assuming that you applied the ferts as directed, that shouldnt be the issue. I'm guessing in NC you havent had frost issues to contend with for some time either....

I would check the undersides of the leaves for mites or some other microscopic insect. With spider mites you can sometimes see webbing.

If you mix the bug soap too heavy, heat can sometimes scar the area of application as well. You might try neem oil as well. I apply both soap and neem a couple days apart when dealing with an infestation.

I wouldn't worry too much though, once the rhizome is established, it'll grow new bines should that one wither. Hope that helps. Good luck!

thanks The Soft Underbelly. No frost issues since planting.

i did check under a bunch of leaves and did see 2 microscopic, white bugs crawling around. i suspect they are aphids.

i also found online that you shouldn't use insecticidal soap if it turns cloudy which means it has oxidized. the soap i have is premixed and i am not sure how old it is. i poured it in a jar to inspect it and found that it is cloudy. I am going to buy more as well as some neem oil.

How long ago did you apply the fertilizer? I'm assuming it was a foliar fed fertilizer since you said you mixed it. If so how much water/fert did you mix? Estimate the fert in tbsp.
I work at an agronomy chemical supplier and we sell a 20-20-20 foliar fert. It looks like a N burn on the leaves to me. Probably not a huge issue.

Latest posts

Back