Another hydrometer broken by SWMBO...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spriggan486

Reaction score
So I go to take an SG reading this morning on my currently fermenting batch of Texas Blonde Ale from AHS only to find my hydrometer broken in the sink.

the only person who possibly could have broken it was SWMBO...

This is the 2nd hydrometer she has broken.

But of course she denies it...

sigh....

just thought I'd vent.

Anyone else's SWMO have a nack for breaking hydros?

What are you doing letting her touch your brewing equipment? There's your first problem.

I don't see Mrs. TexasSpartan ever breaking any of my stuff. She has no interesting in my homebrewing, until it comes time to drink the finished product.

Just like I tell my kids: It's your own damned fault for not putting it away in the first place. :)

I break 'em on my own. I don't seem to need help in that department.......:eek:

Yes, she may have broken it, but it's your own stupid fault for leaving it out where she could break it. :)
Except for the time she drove her car over the regulator for the propane burner she never breaks things, but she does hide them. (She calls it tidying up.) As she says, it's my fault for leaving things out instead of hiding them where she can't see them.
I can live with that.

-a.

I break 'em on my own. I don't seem to need help in that department.......:eek:

I broke one myself a couple of weeks ago. I was testing the FG on a beer that I was kegging, and laid the hydrometer on the bar when I was done. I forgot about it for a couple of days and when I finally went to retrieve it it snapped in half as I picked it up. The beer had dried and stuck the hydrometer to the counter.

Stupid things are like empty egg shells. But the wife has never broken one. She'd never touch my stuff, rather she'd yell at me to move it.

Hydrometers are replaceable! Good SWMBO's are not. Hydrometers are not that expensive, keep about 3 around your house especially if you have kids or SWMBO's!!!

I talked to my wife a couple of weeks ago and she told me she broke one and I got a replacement. Two days later I heard it break as she picked it up.

I got 2 more and told her not to touch them again...EVER! :mad: If she wants them moved call me and I'll do it. I use her washing machine as my drain board drying rack in my brewing kitchen in the basement...

Yeah, she broke my first one when I asked her to dry it off after I cleaned it. Ever since,she's refused to touch one. I still haven't broken one though!

After about a year of brewing I'm on my fourth hydrometer.

After the last one broke I decided upon an ATS refractometer as well. So as long as nothing unforeseen happens to the new toy, I just bought my last hydrometer.

BobbyM has a youtube video on Refractometer vs Hydrometer. Might be worth checking out.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaonMYRODks]YouTube - Brewing with Bobby M Refractometer vs. Hydrometer[/ame]

I always try to be sure to have finished the batch, got the fermenters to bed and cleaned up and hidden all my gear before she even knows I just brewed! ;)

BobbyM has a youtube video on Refractometer vs Hydrometer. Might be worth checking out.
YouTube - Brewing with Bobby M Refractometer vs. Hydrometer

Nice. Never saw that before. I always thought that a refractometer was useless once fermentation started. I'm going to look into getting one now.:mug:

BTW, the video got me curious, and I checked Beersmith, which is the software that I use, and they do indeed have a refractometer tool, so if you have Beersmith, there is no need to use the one on Morebeer.com:rockin:

Back