Another Hello from KCMO!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwetschgen

Reaction score
Hey gang.
I've been making wine for a couple of years, just started getting into the whole beer and brewing thing. I've only made a single extract kit, but we'll see how it goes. I don't yet have a stock pot large enough to do any 'real' brewing, but I like to start slow, really learn the process before diving in.
As it seems so many are from this Kansas City area on here, it's crazy that I haven't heard of any brewing clubs... It's unfortunate. Anyone know of any/want to start one?
I do a lot of shopping at the Homebrew Pro Shop in Olate, but agreed the E. C. Kraus guys have the better prices. A word of wisdom however, I will NEVER buy a bung from the guys at Kraus, for whatever reason they have the worst bungs, I don't mind spending a few cents more for something I know won't let me down.

As for my brew: despite what so many people have said, I got a lot (200 or so) twist-off bottles from a lady that owns a bar, and I got a bench capper and used it. I find it is best to learn first hand wether using twist-offs is good or bad. A lesson learned hard is a lesson learned good.

Remember, drink responsibly.

Man I wish I had been brewing back when I was in ministerial school in Unity Village back in 03, seems like I would have had plenty of friends to get through the lonely days. ;)

Welcome!

:mug:

Of course I'm sure brewing beer would have been frowned upon living on the grounds, but the faculty hated me anyway.

:off: Being an interesting person is a liability for a man of the cloth. ;)

/sarcasm

Exactly...I could tell you stories....In fact one of our outside guest faculty who taught part of the counselling curriculum and wasn't of our denomination, and really the only teacher most of us liked and respected or at least trusted, since he had a outsider's perspective, called it "alpha syndrome." Because it seemed all the strong personalities, whether male or female, always ended up in "trouble" for one thing or another.

He likened it to a field of daisies, where if one of the grew above the others, the faculty liked to come by with a weed whacker and cut it down.

A lot of the faculty were fired the day after our class was ordained, for some strange reason (which I got blamed for believe it or not.)

(It's also a reason I don't do full time ministry, I think people should be people regardless of what they do.)

Well, you're back in Michigan now. :)

And you have one more acquaintance in the Show-Me State. :D

Welcome Zwetschgen!

Welcome! Yes, there are quite a few KC area brewers on here. I was pretty surprised as well at how many there are. I guess it's due to the fact that there is jack **** to do in KC except brew and bbq, if you don't gamble that is.

I'm not in any clubs, but am always up for a brew day and meeting some new people. You're welcome to join me sometime, I'm about 5 miles east of the stadium. Actually, I've just put a brisket on the smoker, have 2 slabs of spare ribs and 2 chickens to add to it later today, and just came in to print out the recipe for today's brew, which is moments away from starting. That's a weekly to bi-weekly occurance around this house. :)

:mug:

Oh, man, KCB... you're tempting me to roll on out there... mmmm... KC BBQ...

Weather is terrible, though, so not a good time for a road trip. :(

Lc's baby, Lc's!!!!!! :rockin:

9189.jpg

Notice the tall stack on the roof..you Smell the Place about 10 minutes before you get there......It's in Raytown, halfway between Lee's Summit/Unity Village, and KCMO

5941.jpg

9187.jpg

Did I mention the smoker was a bank vault???

5937.jpg

Grins evilly...

9185.jpg

Roadfoods has a great review of the place...

L C's Bar-B-Q - Kansas City, MO

Oh, man, I'm literally droooooooling.

Do they serve good beer there, too? Or do you get it carry-out and drink your own?

Most of the good ones are. That's why it's great for lunch. ;)

Ya, Indy would be a bit of drive. I like to think my Q' is pretty good, but I would really hate to disappoint if you made that trip!

Kcbrewer said:
Most of the good ones are. That's why it's great for lunch

Yeah in ministerial school, my housmate and I sat across from each other in the classroom. And at least once every two weeks, usually on the day we were supposed to have communal meal with our classmates (who all pretty much hated each other), one of us would get a look on our face that the other would catch and we knew that what that meant was an Lc's run.

They had these two meat sadwhiches that were orgasmic to say the least.

Hi there Zwetschgen. I'm a KC brewer too. Live up near the airport. Any time you want to get together for a brewday hit me up.

:off:

Yeah, in the academic world it seems the lower the stakes are, the more vicious the fight. I bet it's the same in minister/divinity/whatever school.

/lament

The best BBQ is always in the bad neighborhoods... who do you think eats it most often? ;)

(Low income correlates almost perfectly with poor diet. Many inner-city kids have a diet where the most commonly consumed vegetable is actually "ketchup".)

Another new brewer from Independence here. Been wanting to get into brewing for quite a while now, and got the world's best Christmas present; a kit to brew. For my first go around, I did a Red Ale, a Hefeweizen, and an Octoberfest. Also helped another new brewer with his Russian Imperial Stout. Been fermenting for exactly a week now, and I'm already buying the stuff to go all grain. Looking forward to a schwarzbier next.

Back