Another funny smelling starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sictransit701

Reaction score
I have made maybe 5 starters. I am totally careful and sanitize everything. I pitched wlp530 abbey ale into my starter last night. It started up quickly and produced a plastic aroma or what to me smells like plastic. It started producing that smell an hour after pitching so I don't think an infection or wild yeast could have done that. Does this yeast produce that aroma naturally?

Assuming you are using a fresh vial (as opposed to repitched yesst), I agree that the starter is likely not infected within only one hour.

I have not noticed that particular aroma before with a starter, but a plastic-like aroma could be a type of phenolic (usually clove or nutmeg like) which you may get some of with WLP530. In general, fermentation can be weird. I would evaluate the starter's health when the starter process finishes. My starters usually smell bready, or bread dough-like, when completed.

Have you smelled your starter wort before pitching? Did you scorch the starter and maybe are now smelling some of those burnt aromas? It may be you are smelling DMS or other sulfur aroma. Crash and decant before pitching.

Are you using a stir plate?

I frequently get nasty smells from my starter, including phenols (smoke, plastic) It think it's just a combo of the massive over pitch and high oxgyen levels. I make good beer and never have fermentation problems.

I've made a few WLP530 starters. Usually what I get is a fruity smell, like pears, or lychee. Give it a few more hours, the smell will very likely change to something nicer.

I also always cold crash and decant my starters, so I can taste the decanted liquid. While the WLP530 starter smells very nice and fruity, the decanted liquid tastes quite sour.

Back