Another forgotten beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The keg posts are cleaned with new o-rings and sanitized. I drew a couple pints off to get any sediment out of the way. Just to keep you in suspense (and to keep with my hard and fast rules of absolute sobriety while I'm working), the actual tasting will commence this evening. :D

4243138011_146d519372.jpg
NOT COOL HOW DiD IT TASTE!

My God!! It apparently killed him!

Someone report to Revvy that we have found something harmful to humans that can survive in beer!!

i think the yeast became conscious and was let free with the hiss of the keg opening........now it has moved to his brain where it slowly eating away (on what it could get(i mean how forgets a keg full of beer)) making it ever more difficult for the "host" to lift the glass to his lips and correspond the awaited results......!!

My guess: he's sitting at his computer, sipping a 3 week old Amber Ale, laughing at the control he has over all of us dorks. +1 for that fella...

Yeah, he probably just forgot to drink it last night. I mean, dude already forgot to drink it for 12 years. We've all just slipped his mind.

The thing I'm curious about is: "what was the recipe!?"

It's not every day you make something that smells that good, after that amount of time.
Lately, I've become something of a barleywine crazed fanatic... erm... I mean devotee.

I propose a fun game!

Bitty should bottle a bomber of this and "auction" it off to the highest bidder. I know you can't sell beer on here at all but it will be a trade auction, I bet I'm not the only person willing to part with some equipment for one of these.

:mug:

Sorry about the wait, I didn't get to it until late last night and was too tired to deal with posting.

Sadly, it must have reached its peak a few years ago. It's a really pretty beer with great color, clarity and head. The flavor isn't exactly terrible, but it's not very good, and it tastes... old. I don't know how else to describe it. There's no cardboard or anything like that, it just doesn't taste like a beer should taste, and not in a good way. I'm going to try it again today just to be sure it wasn't me being tired, but I think in the end it's going down the drain.

The original recipe:

It's meant to be a blend of the American and English styles. The first batch I did was aged a year and was nothing short of exquisite. The mash comes dangerously close to the top of a 10 gallon cooler, but it can be done. It needs to be very thick to pull it off.

19 lb Maris Otter
5.75 lb Caramel/Crystal 30
1.5 oz Galena (13.5%) 60 minutes
1.5 oz Cascade (7.0%) 60 minutes
2.5 oz Willamette (4.0%) 0 minutes
White Labs British Ale WLP005 with a huge starter
5.5 gallons into the fermenter

Target OG: 1.100

Bitty I type this post with a heavy heart. Have you no moral regard for those you have so lavishly enthralled with such a beautiful story and picture. What have women done to you in the past that you insist on passing the pain that is associated with blue balls. You got us all worked up and ready to go, only to walk away smirking with the temptation you used to bring us to the point of popping. You sir need to realize this is not a game, and some irrepurable harm has already been done to users like hushnow and danpemby.

A picture of what this poster must look like at the moment

help-fight-blue-balls.jpg

edit: never mined he posted! to bad :(

Trust me, I was far more excited that any of you, because I would have been the one to drink it. I've only had to dump three batches the entire time I've been brewing. It hurts a lot.

I think I should drink one of my 1994 thomas hardy's tonight just to make sure it isn't "contaminated".

ao125 said:
I think I should drink one of my 1994 thomas hardy's tonight just to make sure it isn't "contaminated".

No, those bottles were contaminated. Bad batch. Don't you remember the news?

You must send all such bottles to me for immediate disposal.

I hate you so much right now.

How can any human exert that kind of patience?

It's tough. It would be easy to blow through them, but I have to keep telling myself that the brewery isn't making anymore and once they're gone... they're gone.

That's why I've been trying to make something along the same lines. The past four things I've brewed have all been barleywines. Some day, I'm going to hit that magic recipe for awesomeness... which is how I came across this thread.

I was hoping that keg was going to be filled with pure awesome.

The search continues.

I'd speculate it didn't hold up with that kind of age because of all of the hops. A malty English BW probably hold up better. Wish me luck I'm making one tomorrow. Thanks Bitty for the entertainment and forgetfulness.

Well it isn't beer but I found about 10 bottles of a Blackberry Meed. I is almost two and a half years old, when I tried it my friend and I looked at each other almost planed said "Should make another one of those". It is great to find an old gem in a box or on the back of a shelf. Makes my day!

Back