Another foam thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackhole

Reaction score
Just got my kegerator up and running Monday and I'm having a little bit of a foam issue. I've done a lot of reading and found that most foam issues come from draft lines that are too short or a tower that isn't cooled, but I don't believe either of those are my issues.

Here's my setup:

- 2 Perlick SS forward-seal faucets with 4 1/8" shanks through a refrigerator door
- 10' of 3/16" draft line
- One regulator supplying a manifold

Right now, I've got two kegs hooked up, a corney with a homebrew White IPA and a commercial keg of Bell's Oberon. The Sanke keg is attached to the system through a Sanke to ball-lock adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Sankey-Ball-Quick ... roduct_top).

So, on the commercial keg, I get 1/3 of a glass of foam every time, but it's perfectly carbonated on the homebrew keg.

Based on what I've told you, can you guys think of anything I should try?

The foaming is continuous with the Oberon? Like if you pour two full pints back to back, is the second one also foamy?

What pressure/temperature are you at? It could be that the Bell's came carbonated higher than your current pressure, so CO2 is breaking out of solution to try and equalize things. It could also be some other things. But a little more info would help :mug:

We're gonna need a little more help :p

What temperature are you at? Is the foaming continuous?

Sorry bud, busy today around the house. OK, the fridge is at 36-38F and if you pour two pints back to back, the first pint is 1/3 to 1/2 foam, the second is 1/3 to 1/4.

I was initially thinking that maybe the shanks weren't long enough to keep the faucet cool, but if my homebrew keg isn't foaming, I don't think that's the issue.

It could be that the Bell's came carbonated higher than your current pressure, so CO2 is breaking out of solution to try and equalize things.

That's my guess. Carb level for Oberon is 2.7 vol, which would require 13.5 psi at 38°. OP, can you see any bubbles or gas pockets forming in the beer line after it sits for a while? If so, then this is definitely your issue.

Try serving the Oberon at 14 psi, or take it off the gas and bleed it a few times before trying again at 12 psi.

That makes sense. Where did you find the carbonation level of the Oberon? I searched and searched and never found anything definitive.

Posted from my  iPhone 5 using Home Brew.

Found it on Micromatic, but your best bet for finding the carb level of any beer is usually contacting the brewery. They're usually more than happy to tell you.

Found it on Micromatic, but your best bet for finding the carb level of any beer is usually contacting the brewery. They're usually more than happy to tell you.

Now I need to decide if I want to lower the Oberon to 12 or raise my homebrew White IPA to 14. Hmm...

Back