Another FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoyle83

Reaction score
3 weeks ago I made this 5 gallon batch:

steeped: 8oz Crystal 60l
4oz Roasted Barley

Extract*: 4 lbs Light DME
3 lbs Amber DME
(*Added w/ 20 min left to 3 gallon boil)

Hops: 1 oz millenium, 15%aa (60 min)
1/2 oz East Kent Goldings, 5%aa (20 min)
1/2 oz East Kent Goldings, 5%aa (3 min)

Pitched: Safale US-05
Fermenting @ 60-65F

I posted a couple weeks ago about this same batch fermenting for longer than expected, and I was told to chill out and give it time. I checked the gravity today and got a reading of about 1.018-1.020 [OG was about 1.072]. I know I need to check it again before I rack it anyways, but I am curious: does this seem like a possible FG for the recipe above, or should I rouse the yeast if there is no change by the hydrometer in a couple days? (and if so, how do I do that?) I'm not trying to rush this one, but I do want to get it out of the bucket and into a carboy ASAP. thanks, folks.

Woah! My roomate (the primary is in his closet) just told me that he definitely heard a bubble last night... I guess it's still going!

If it is @ 1.018, it achieved 75% attenuation, which is pretty typical for most yeast. It sounds like your temp is fluctuating too much. If you can keep the temp more stable, like in the upper 60's for a couple days and get the same gravity reading, you can be fairly certain it has finished up.

:mug:

Back