another fermentation question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megamanisrad

Reaction score
hi everyone, I am brewing my first ever batch (Red Ale) and I am having tons of fun with it. It's from a kit that has already prepared the wort. You just dump it into the primary fermentor, add the (baker's) yeast and water and pH adjuster, and let it sit for 5 days, then rack it into the carboy. It's been in the carboy for about a week now, and to this day I haven't seen any activity in the airlock. There are small bubbles that sit along the side of the airlock, but nothing that has been described to me. (i.e. 3-4 bubbles every couple seconds, etc)
Any ideas? I've been very careful not to disturb it, but part of me just wants to give it a shake and yell 'show me some action!!'
Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

You used baker's yeast? Unless im mistaken you need BEER yeast, which would explain why there is no activity

can someone please verify this.

sorry! it's brewers yeast! I've filled the airlock about halfway up. I had a hyrdometer but I broke it during the initial fermentation (dropped the bugger!) i took a reading of 1.050. Haven't been able to check it since!

Bakers yeast will ferment wort.......go buy a hydrometer and check the gravity. If you had it in the fermentor bucket for 5 days then it has been in the carboy for a week... it is quite possible your fermentation was done BEFORE you put it into the carboy.... Revvy will also tell you that airlock activity is not a TRUE indication of fermentation.

Yeah I would check it with a new hydrometer. You probably just didn't have a very good seal on your primary and it fermented just fine is is all but done in terms of appearance of fermentation.

Which is nothing to worry about. Get a new hydrometer and be careful with it.

awesome! thanks so much. funny thing is I live in a pretty remote area in canada so buying a new hydrometer requires getting one shipped in haha! i hope to do that today. maybe ill get it by the end of the week!
so if there is no activity, and general consensus says it's done fermenting, should I just bottle? i was going to wait till this coming sunday (instructions state to wait 10-15 days)
another thing I did that could affect things was I used the same airlock for the initial fermentation as well...could that affect it?

awesome! thanks so much. funny thing is I live in a pretty remote area in canada so buying a new hydrometer requires getting one shipped in haha! i hope to do that today. maybe ill get it by the end of the week!
so if there is no activity, and general consensus says it's done fermenting, should I just bottle? i was going to wait till this coming sunday (instructions state to wait 10-15 days)
another thing I did that could affect things was I used the same airlock for the initial fermentation as well...could that affect it?
Order the hydrometer....wait until it gets there......check fg.....check it again in 3 days....if it is the same, bottle.

Back