Another Easy Aeration Method....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This morning I extended the hop-pole, thought it might good to make some limeaide....

Got all the stuff together starting w/ a pitcher, added the sugar, lime juice, and water, then went looking for a spoon to mix.

I yanked out the turbo mixer and went to town mixing the hell out of it... It hit me this could work good as an aerator...

Look at the pics. (Ran this about 30 seconds going up & down meanwhile breaking the surface to entrap air in the blade shroud.)

Turbo_Mixers_001.jpg

Close up of the froth...

Turbo_Mixers_004.jpg

I think this would be cheap easy way to aerate if you use an ale pale. I'm planning to try this soon.

Hmmm.....Depth might be an issue unless it mixes like crazy in a pale

:mug:

I just tried this in a bucket full idophor. It still mixes the hell out of it with lots of foam on surface. Mixer can go about 6" deep. The cup on the mixer traps in a ton of air.

...but it's still just air instead of pure oxygen. I would argue that you'd get the same results by shaking/splashing.

Yes - I agree. Shaking or splashing can be PIA.

I have been contemplating getting an oxygen set-up. I haven't done more than 4 AG batches.

This is just another incidental way to do aeration.

Good idea. I have one of these taking up space in the cupboard.

I think you could use this with a carboy as well -- just hit the work with the stick blender in the boil kettle after chilling.

I use an aeration stone with a filter and an aquarium tank. cheap and it works
I switched from that to 02, the nice thing about the 02 is 30 seconds saturates 5 gallons, and the recurring cost of the bottles really isn't expensive, get them at Lowes for $7 I'm thinking of buying 5# bottle, or rolling an emphesema patient :)

I did this last night. I worked great. In less than an hour there was pressure in the lock. 6 hours later, normal airlock activity.

Funny thing - I bought an oxygen set-up Friday but I don't have the bottle of gas yet.

Its funny splashing puts more air in faster than an aquarium pump with stone.

Those aquarium pumps are misleading. As a matter of fact, in a fish tank, slight agitation of the surface tension aerates much more than a stone. Same thing applies to the wort.

My favorite method is to use the sprayer on my faucet to top off the fermenter. I did that last night and I ended up with about 3 inches of foam on top of the wort.

I just made myself a aeration setup at a reasonable cost. You get one of those mini O2 bottles from home depot, the reverse thread valve from williams, a 2 micron diffuser stone, and a racking cane. Everything went together with some extra hose I had laying around... works awesome! I'll never go back to stirring, shaking, blending, etc etc. Drop the wand in and fire it up!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGEN_REGULATOR_P700.cfm

S78.JPG

I just made myself a aeration setup at a reasonable cost. You get one of those mini O2 bottles from home depot, the reverse thread valve from williams, a 2 micron diffuser stone, and a racking cane. Everything went together with some extra hose I had laying around... works awesome! I'll never go back to stirring, shaking, blending, etc etc. Drop the wand in and fire it up!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/OXYGEN_REGULATOR_P700.cfm

S78.JPG

Thanks for the information. That's a great price on the regulator. I've seen it for $50 at other places. For $19 I can probably justify an aeration setup! :mug:

Those aquarium pumps are misleading. As a matter of fact, in a fish tank, slight agitation of the surface tension aerates much more than a stone. Same thing applies to the wort.

My favorite method is to use the sprayer on my faucet to top off the fermenter. I did that last night and I ended up with about 3 inches of foam on top of the wort.

Saturday, I used my kitchen hand mixer.... I also had 2-3" of foam on top of the wort. I sprinkled the Safale-05 on top and it floated and gradually reconstituted.

The foam was like heavy head to boot! :rockin:

I had to turn off my O2/stone setup after like 90 seconds because I had thick foam about to pour out of a 8 gallon primary on a 5 gallon batch.

Back