Another Dry Hop Process Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rack an IPA onto hops in a secondary.

I was thinking that i would do a quick and dirty cold-crash the primary to get it to clear out a bit, then rack onto hops in secondary. I was going to let the secondary warm back up in a fermentation chamber set to 67F. Then after 4 days cold crash with gelatin and rack to keg.

I have heard so many opinions on why this is wrong or right. Anyone want to share their way of doing it and then justify their process with something close to science? I.E. not: that's how i have always done it, or that's how Brewer McAwesome does it, etc.

My reason for the process i described above is as follows:
1) i want to remove suspended solids from the primary so that the hop oil can more completely and efficiently be absorbed into the beer.
2) i want the secondary to get a little warmer since most substances dissolve into liquid more readily at warmer temperatures.
3) I am not scared of crashing the secondary with gelatin because it will only pull protein and other suspended solids out - the hope oils are dissolved and will stay in solution.

Thoughts?

The only time I do a "secondary" is with my chocolate stout, where I don't want the cocoa nibs to disappear into the trub.

Otherwise I try to avoid anything that risks unnecessary oxygen exposure, and imo post-fermentation racking ideally should be done just once - for packaging transfers.
As well, unless one takes preventative measures, cold-crashing a fermentor will result in O2 exposure; doing it twice just doubles that problem.

So...my "classic" IPAs run five days post-pitch, four days of dry-hopping at ~67-68°F, then ideally a two day cold crash with CO2 top pressure before kegging using a CO2 push to a purged keg. My NEIPA routine is slightly modified - I start dry hopping two days post-pitch, do another round four days later, crash four days later for two days then keg. Again, with CO2 applied at the crash...

I don't use clarifiers, I cold-condition/"set and forget" carbonate the kegs for at least a couple of weeks waiting for a spot to open in the keezer.
By then the beers that want to be bright, are...

Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back