Another does this look infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidass

Reaction score
Extract nut brown ale brewed 2 weeks ago, went transfer to secondary today and found what's in the attached picture(mold, something else?)

Is it ruined? No off smells, went ahead and did the transfer to secondary anyways just in case.

image.jpg

I'm on a roll, burned my last brew (Irish red) and now this one is infected. Keg has been dry for too long!! :(

I'm on a roll, burned my last brew (Irish red) and now this one is infected. Keg has been dry for too long!! :(

Because one person says it looks infected? Why don't you wait and see what others say. Maybe you can taste it and report back.

Thats for sure an infection. With my previous experiences with infections (have had a couple ones sadly...) doesn't always mean it is DOOMED. Rack off the bottom and be sure to leave A LOT BEHIND!! Just be SUPER SUPER sanitary.

(nobody died or got sick when I did this either)

save it, i bet you could. don't secondary it - cold crash it if you can. give it a few days at 34 degrees - it will clear and the infection will go dormant and stop wrecking your beer.

rack into keg and carb it up, keep it cold so the infection doesn't start up again. don't toss it, it might be really nice with a slight sour edge or you might not even taste it at all.

save it, i bet you could. don't secondary it - cold crash it if you can. give it a few days at 34 degrees - it will clear and the infection will go dormant and stop wrecking your beer.

rack into keg and carb it up, keep it cold so the infection doesn't start up again. don't toss it, it might be really nice with a slight sour edge or you might not even taste it at all.

thanks for advice, I got it in the fridge yesterday to cold crash, we'll see how it goes.

So this brew stayed in fridge and I went ahead and kegged, after giving it 2 weeks its very sour so looks like ill be dumping it.

Fast forward to today...I brewed up an amber ale close to 3 weeks ago, transferred to secondary last Wednesday I check it out today and I see this around the edges...did I get it infected again!?!? I'm so annoyed as I was super paranoid with sanitizing this time.

image-1673572454.jpg

image-854518603.jpg

Kind of looks like it might be but it's tough to say for sure. Kind of looks like the characteristic big bubble that gets caught under a pellicle in the picture that shows the brew hauler.

P.S. Don't carry a full carboy with that.

It's actually all around the top I just took a close up shot of the area that seemed most concentrated so probably not a bubble then, maybe this pic shows it a little better.

image-1279476360.jpg

How long has this been in secondary and how long was it in primary? It could just be a little hop residue being pulled up by a little residual CO2. Or a tiny krausen from some fermentable material that was left over. Was it at a stable FG before moving it?

Went ahead and transferred to keg and put co2 on it just to be safe (I think the lack of oxygen + cold would stagnate the potential bacteria growth?). It's been exactly 2.5 weeks since brew, 1.5 weeks in primary and about 6 days in secondary.

On a whim I decided to taste my irish red that was wrecked with infection on my original post and surprisingly the sour taste is completely gone, it's a bonafine miracle lol!!

Latest posts

Back