Another "critique my imperial stout" recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comfort_Zone

Reaction score
So I've been working on an imperial stout recipe for an upcoming local competition and I was going through my current inventory. This is what I've come up with so far. I also have some crystal malts (C80, patagonia 190, C120) as well as a buttload of flaked barley from a previous purchase. How does this look? I'll be fermenting it with a blend of yeasts I've been using for my dark beers (Imperial Joystick, Pub, House).
Screenshot_2018-10-23-14-52-23.jpeg

I think that Marris Otter gets wasted in an Imperial Stout but if that is all you have you might as well use it. Where is the Roasted Barley?.

I think that Marris Otter gets wasted in an Imperial Stout but if that is all you have you might as well use it. Where is the Roasted Barley?.
MO is certainly not necessary, but I'm trying to burn through my inventory before I start buying more. As for roasted barley, unless I'm making an Irish stout I don't really use it anymore. I've left it out in competition beers and still scored quite well.

For my last Imperial Stout I used 2 lbs roast barley and 1 lb chocolate malt (for 10 gallons) and it still doesn't seem roasty enough for me.

For my last Imperial Stout I used 2 lbs roast barley and 1 lb chocolate malt (for 10 gallons) and it still doesn't seem roasty enough for me.
For an imperial I often go north of 15% just on roasted grains. I can always see if any fellow brewers have some they're trying to get rid of. Roasted barley certainly isn't out of place in an Imperial Stout after all!

No crystal malt? I really like special B in a stout, especially an imperial, maybe just 8oz of castle special B. Its less sweet than dingemans.

If anything I would say the vienna is wasted here, if you want a toasty flavor in an imperial i would use amber, if i want extra maltiness I would use aromatic/abbey/melanoidin

Also no flavor hops? I really think a good flavor hop takes an Impy to the next level. I usually use a spicy variety, saaz, galena etc.

No crystal malt? I really like special B in a stout, especially an imperial, maybe just 8oz of castle special B. Its less sweet than dingemans.

If anything I would say the vienna is wasted here, if you want a toasty flavor in an imperial i would use amber, if i want extra maltiness I would use aromatic/abbey/melanoidin

Also no flavor hops? I really think a good flavor hop takes an Impy to the next level. I usually use a spicy variety, saaz, galena etc.
Thanks for the feedback! I've been tossing around the idea of using some crystal malts. I do have special B, patagonia 190, some C80, and maybe some crystal rye. The Vienna is definitely wasted in a big beer like this, but I've got it lying around so it's cheaper than having to go out and buy more base malt.

As for the hops, I don't usually do any late additions. Not saying that I'm not open to the idea though. It's definitely worth considering. I'll see what I have in the freezer.

With the hops it depends what you are after. Providing you avoid C hops or fruity ones you can be quite heavy and it will only have a moderate impact. It can definitely fill out the palette.

I will usually skip hops in a sweet stout, an Imperial is so robust it can handle a good dose and benefit.

just an idea, but why not roast some of your own, maybe try about 1/2# of the marris otter on a baking sheet at about 300° for a little while? just an idea though.

https://www.brewcabin.com/roasting-malts/

I have been playing around with trying to make my own crystals using some excess pale I have just to see what I can do. Cheers!!

I've thought about roasting my own malts, but my oven isn't the most reliable. I considered roasting them in my wok, but that's another project for another time.

Back