Another Cornelius Keg Question - Gluing Handles back on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertHSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
what would be an appropriate glue to reattach a loose cornelius keg top and bottom? I was thinking of using liquid nails project. Does anyone have anything they have used with success?

RobertHSmith said:
what would be an appropriate glue to reattach a loose cornelius keg top and bottom? I was thinking of using liquid nails project. Does anyone have anything they have used with success?

I've had this happen exactly once. Went to pick up the keg and the top came right off.

I chose to use a Marine Epoxy I found at Lowes that listed it was capable of bonding rubber to metal and was (obviously) resistant to moisture.

Ever since that day I am leery of picking up full kegs by the hadles.

I am pretty sure it was Loctite 3026;

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/l...intenance|Marine|Loctite® 3026 - Marine Epoxy

I've never had to glue one back on but I believe people had luck with
Gorilla Glue. I've heard that stuff will stick a fart to the wall.(no experience with that either.)

Update,

Gorilla glue didn't do a good job, even when I prepped the surface. I had 6 to use the glue on.

My method. I prepped 3 of them really well, used emory cloth to prep the areas to be glued, wiped them and then used a sponge brush to wet them, then used the glue. The other three I didn't do any prep work and only wet them. I put around 100 lbs of weights from my workout bench/barbells on each keg to hold the tops/bottoms down against the force from the expanding glue

The bottoms/tops that I glued came loose with minimal effort, prepped and non-prepped, probably less than 20lbs of force. I wouldn't trust the any of the bonds to hold with 5 gallons of beer in it.

I will most likely make handles with some cording that goes around the bottom of the keg and use stiff vinyl tubing for handles. The down side is that I could have bought the cording and polyethelyne tubing for less than the cost of the "pricy" gorilla glue :p

RobertHSmith said:
Update,

Gorilla glue didn't do a good job, even when I prepped the surface. I had 6 to use the glue on.

My method. I prepped 3 of them really well, used emory cloth to prep the areas to be glued, wiped them and then used a sponge brush to wet them, then used the glue. The other three I didn't do any prep work and only wet them. I put around 100 lbs of weights from my workout bench/barbells on each keg to hold the tops/bottoms down against the force from the expanding glue

The bottoms/tops that I glued came loose with minimal effort, prepped and non-prepped, probably less than 20lbs of force. I wouldn't trust the any of the bonds to hold with 5 gallons of beer in it.

I will most likely make handles with some cording that goes around the bottom of the keg and use stiff vinyl tubing for handles. The down side is that I could have bought the cording and polyethelyne tubing for less than the cost of the "pricy" gorilla glue :p

I tried to tell you...Loctite Marine.....but NOOOOOOOO! You just had to bring in the Gorilla.

Wish I'd read this sooner, I could have saved you some trouble. Gorilla Glue is all hype. I tried it once to bond plastic to plastic in a harsh environment and it didn't last two days. At the same time, I used it to bond wood to wood in a temp controlled, indoor environment and that project didn't last a week.

Go with the Loctite or a 2-part epoxy. Yeah, the 2-part epoxies smell and may get warm until they set, but they work.

I am a wood worker and can tell you Gorilla glue sucks! i would give that locktite a try as they make great products. If that doesnt work ge some Flammable contact cement from Home depot or any hardware store. Dont get the non-flammable stuff as its no where near as good. This is the glue you use for doing countertops and i have used it to glue wood to metal and IT HOLDS!!!!!

I just glued the bottom onto one of my kegs with 3M 5200 marine caulking. It takes a long time to dry but it will hold anything. It's used in the marine industry to fasten things together that you NEVER want to take apart. You can get it for a caulk gun or in a small toothpaste type tube.

I wish I had read this earlier too. At work, we found that 190° water WILL remove the handle from a Corny.

We also tried Gorilla Glue with no success. I'd try the marine epoxy. We just got more kegs...

:cross:

3M 5200 might work. Lowe's carried it for a while and Walmart occasionally stocks it in the boating section, but Boater's World and West Marine always have it (for a higher price, of course).

I use it all the time around the boat - even under the waterline. The stuff holds like crazy.

I'm not going to spend another dime on glue any time soon. This is kind of a hijack of my own thread but I want to get a chest freezer and I've got 12 kegs to play with, thinkng I'll only use 10 in the freezer at one time and use the other 2 for secondaries. Also thinking how big of a freezer I'll need...hmmmmm...The wife said when we started brewing "I never want to have to buy beer again." So I figure 10 cornys of different beers will help us in that goal...

I'll buy some 1/8" utility cording at an outdoorsy store that has a tensile strength of 600+lbs and use that for handles...

Back