Another batch, another post asking "What is this"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRUGBY

Reaction score
Currently 9 days into fermentation with US 05. Never used this yeast before. Brewing an all grain ~6% IPA with 2 row, Vienna, Victory, and Munich malt. Fermentation took off at 24 hours. Now the bubbles appear to have stopped getting released from the trub like a lava lamp. From the outside, the beer looks clear like everything has dropped out normally. I then went to open it to dry hop it and see a layer of yeast on top (picture attached).

1. Is this safe or is it an infection? It smells like decent beer right now other than the yeast smell from the floating loaf of wonder bread on top.
2. If it is still drinkable. What is it and what do I do with it? Scoop it out? Stir it in? Ignore it?

Attachments

• 20200327_050552.jpg
    20200327_050552.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
Looks normal to me, no need to scoop it or anything. Just let it be and it will sink to the bottom when fermentatuin is over.

Mind blown
Next question might be why I've never had this before with any of my smack packs.
Is it safe to dry hop now for 5 days? Or should I wait until it drops to dry hop? How long should I expect it to take to drop out?
Thanks!

It's a solid yeast cap. You'll find that it's like a skin, without any depth under it. Happens all the time with some yeast, including US-05 in my experience as well. Just take a sanitized spoon and gently push some aside, then add your dry hops in the clearing that forms. If it persists when it's time to rack, you should just rack out from under it. Alternately, a cold crash is likely to settle it out; a bit of a jiggle to dislodge it and get it sinking may help.

i couldn't even read all the posts, hurry up get that lid back on, looks like yeast...the lodo, spunding, closed transfer....what not, would freak out seeing that lid off! ;)

Back