And one more DIY stirplate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-TH-

Reaction score
Inspired by what I saw on this thread:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/

I thought I would whip something together. Almost all the parts were salvaged from various sources (most were either scrap or spare parts from work). I did buy the rheostat from radioshack and the stirbar from mcmaster.com. I had to play around a bit with various configurations of the magnets, and you can see the way it ended up working best. I used a little double sided tape to keep the magnets in place on the washer. The stir bar rattles a little during operation - is this normal???

Here's the pics...
DSC00766.JPG

DSC00767.JPG

DSC00768.JPG

DSC00771.JPG

Nice job! I really like that enclosure, it looks very solid.

The only thing that worries me is the double-sided tape for the magnets...I'm not too sure how long that will hold up.

My stirbar doesn't seem to rattle, all I hear is the soft suction of the swirling vortex and a slight gurgle. Perhaps it depends upon the design of the bar.

stirplate.jpg

mine rattles a little too - but I blame that on the bottom of the pyrex flask being slightly convex. I like the smoked plexiglass - looks more cool than my cigar box. Looks like you're pulling a pretty good vortex.

I love your enclosure... I have my eye on an enclosure at work right now, but I can't take it til we trash it. I'm glad my build helped you get yours together. My original build was all salvaged parts as well, but to make it actually "cheap and easy" i went to radio shack for the next best things. What does your stirplate sit on? rubber feet help a lot with vibration.

+1 on adding something to hold onto your magnets and replacing that double sided tape.

Try Velcro to hold your magnet in place. Makes it easy to add magents, or move them around and holds the mag in place real well. I used the sticky sided industrial stuff and was able to add a second magnet when I upsized my flask. Props on your enclosure! I used a dio shak project box for my first stir plate & and VHS video box for my second. Your looks much nicer.

Maybe I'll add a little adhesive now that I like the placement, however the tape is 3m VHB and with the magnetic force of the (3) 1/4dia x 1/2 Long rare-earth magnets, it doesn't budge.

I have a hexagon spinbar with center ring. The rattling spinbar appears to be due to the bar "tipping" back and forth as it spins. Probably ok I just wondered if others experienced this.

What size stir bar is everyone using?

Nice necro...

To answer your question it depends on how far apart your magnets are. If the stir bar is longer than the space in between + the magnets then it will normally cause the stir bar to get "thrown". When I built mine I bout a few different sizes to get the one that works best. This is also really importanrt to have a spare as they sometimes end up in the fermenter (that is where mine is now)...

Back