Ancient recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted any recipes from ancient sumaria, Babylon or Egypt? I'd like to try but am having difficulty finding the recipes and ingredients. Any one who has a lead, please send it my way.

They probably taste terrible. Probably wild yeast since they didn't know what the hell yeast was or that it existed.

Has anyone attempted any recipes from ancient sumaria, Babylon or Egypt? I'd like to try but am having difficulty finding the recipes and ingredients. Any one who has a lead, please send it my way.

Google Ancient Cyprus Beer

They uncovered a 3500 BC malting floor and brew area. There is a basic recipe and directions in this article. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/29/bronze-age-microbrewery_n_2212167.html

@nolabrew... Actually they knew quite a bit about brewing and yeast. Granted they were not culturing the lovely little workhorses, but they knew that fresh fruits had the little buggers on them. Ninkasi is the ancient Sumerian goddess of beer and the Hymn to Ninkasi, inscribed on a nineteenth-century B.C. tablet, contains a recipe for Sumerian beer. The hymn gave directions for making beer, which modern brewers could follow to create a low-alcohol beverage that might resemble the ancient brew.

Awesome thanks!! Brows ever micro brewershave created and sold millions of bottles based on ancient recipes for example Dogfish head ale co. Made the Midas touch which is a replica of Pharo Midas from ancient Egypt. It's delicious. If it went for these people, we wouldn't be talking on this thread about beer. They knew what yeast was because the also made breads. Never underestimate the intelligence of the ancients. I'll keep y'all up to date on my ancient recipes.

Back