Anchor Steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
Just in the middle of my first bottle of Anchor Steam...darn good. Smooth....nice fruityness. I only have 1 bottle, though...discovered the "make your own six pack" at the local Spirits store. Got the steam, Saranac Belgian White, Sierra Nevada Wheat, Harpoon IPA, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and Post Road Pumpkin Ale (different). Any comments on them? They're all new to me. Got them along with a six of Sam's Hefe...to get a taste for wheat beer.

Man I haven't seen Saranac since I lived back east...I used to drink that IPA in college quite a bit.

Anchor is a classic...always tasty.

If the store has a brew called Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale from Virginia, do yourself a favor and get some. It's super aggressively hoppy. A great beer.

You also may be able to get Stoudt's around you. Their ESB and others are great.

Hey Nut, have you tried the "Arrogant Bastard Ale" from Stone? Good stuff if you like big aggressive beer. I had Harpoon's when I was in Boston a few years ago and loved it. Just can't get it here in Texas (not near me any way). If you like fruity beers, try to get a hold of Abita Brewing's Purple Haze (Abita Springs, Louisiana)....tasty rasberry wheat. And if you liked the Anchor Steam, try the Anchor Porter..........

DeRoux's Broux

Arrogant Bastard is so freaking awesome. I love how the label basically says "You probably won't like this beer cause you have no taste and can't handle a hoppy beer" Too funny. It's a sledgehammer of a beer.

Anchor Porter is great. Also, Anchor Liberty Ale for a nice hoppy beer.

[
I'd love to try Stone's Double Bastard or the Ruination IPA, but we can't get those in Texas either. I love to wear my Arrogant Bastard shirt and see peoples reaction to it. Classic! Good marketing, great beer!
I brewed a Bastard clone and it came out real good. Went too fast :(

There's a smal brewery in Blanco, Texas called Real Ale Brewery, and they have a Shade Tree Coffee Porter that rocks! They also do a Pale Rye Ale that is real good.

Hey you should post your recipe for the Arrogant Bastard in recipes if you're so inclined. I picked one up at the grocery store while I was in town after you brought it up. Damn, that is some good *stuff* <-- censored on behalf of rightwingnut ;)

Janx said:
Hey you should post your recipe for the Arrogant Bastard in recipes if you're so inclined. I picked one up at the grocery store while I was in town after you brought it up. Damn, that is some good *stuff* <-- censored on behalf of rightwingnut ;)

Agreed with the Arrogant Bastard recipe! I have about 6 empty bottles I hung onto just for the humorous reading. I haven't used them for my own brew because I know mine are NOT WORTHY ;)

A shirt? I haven't seen the shirt...

I've looked for Arrogant Bastard, but couldn't find it...nor Stoudt's. Tell ya what though, I can do without the Cherry Wheat...not what a beer should be. Almost sickeningly sweet...

Janx said:

i can Janx, but it's a grain/extract version? if ya'll want it, i can post it tomorrow when i get back home. :p

DeRoux's Broux

Janx said:
Man I haven't seen Saranac since I lived back east...I used to drink that IPA in college quite a bit.

Anchor is a classic...always tasty.

If the store has a brew called Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale from Virginia, do yourself a favor and get some. It's super aggressively hoppy. A great beer.

You also may be able to get Stoudt's around you. Their ESB and others are great.

Heh.....we used to get Saranac when I was in college in VT.....used to affectionately refer to it as "Crapanac"..... :D

A shirt? I haven't seen the shirt...[/QUOTE]

go to their web site. they have some cool t's and beer glasses. one arrogant bastard shirt say's "yellow fizzy beer is for wussies!". great stuff! :D

i think it's stonebrewing.com? or you can do a search for stone brewing company.

DeRoux's Broux

rightwingnut said:
Just in the middle of my first bottle of Anchor Steam...darn good. Smooth....nice fruityness. I only have 1 bottle, though...discovered the "make your own six pack" at the local Spirits store. Got the steam, Saranac Belgian White, Sierra Nevada Wheat, Harpoon IPA, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, and Post Road Pumpkin Ale (different). Any comments on them? They're all new to me. Got them along with a six of Sam's Hefe...to get a taste for wheat beer.

I just had a Sammy Hefe that came in the sample pack along with the boston ale and cream stout. I thought the stout was good, the boston ale was excellent, and the Hefe was garbage. It just didn't go over that well with me

OSUmoney83 said:
I just had a Sammy Hefe that came in the sample pack along with the boston ale and cream stout. I thought the stout was good, the boston ale was excellent, and the Hefe was garbage. It just didn't go over that well with me

The Sam Adams Double Bock is pretty good. The web site calls it a "meal in a bottle!". Pretty big. 310 calories per bottle, 8.8% ABV. You get a noticable kick from the alcohol, but it's good. I thought it was close to the Paulaner Salvator Dobble Bock. My wife got me a big ol' basket of beer's for Valentines! She Rocks!!! :D

DeRoux's Broux

My husband and I had our first "let's get drunk" one night while we were separated, and found AB beer after we stumbled down the block to get refills. Ruination was the best we've had

We have kept the bottles from most of their specials, to cut down into freezer glasses. But now he wants to make a home brew! We've even got an extra fridge in the garage... Now that we know to save our bottles intact, who can help us make a home brew with no equipment??? Help!

Thanks for the gift idea for Valentine's day. I hope my husband will be as happy as you were with your gift basket!

Anybody know any well-stocked beer emporiums near Fresno, CA? We can't seem to keep Stone Brew anywhere around town!

Thanks from a newbie...

Back