Anal Abv Measurers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you fanatically have to know the precise ABV because......

• You want to carefully monitor your alcohol intake

• You enter your beers in competition

• You are just an alpha nerd (very meticulous)

• SWMBO makes you

• You are just curious

• GOD told you to

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know anyway since you should always measure your gravities just for reproducability as well as learning the attenuation and figuring out if the beer is done fermenting or not.

I measure my OG and FG religiously because I want to know how my beer attenuated compared to previous batches or comparisons with different yeasts etc.

I like to know the ABV because everyone who has one of my beers always asks and it's nice to have an answer. For myself, the OG of the beer is sufficient so I know if it's session strength or not.

cheezydemon said:
Just wondered. I never really cared until SWMBO demanded to know.
Take your O.G. - T.G. x 131.25

1.06-1.01=.05x131.25= 5.25% by volume.

I measure, because Ralph Nader told me to.

Ed's got a point though, people accustomed to light beer need to be warned that they're not in Kansas anymore...

My girlfriend's parents were visiting from Japan last weekend, and I got her dad pretty trashed on three 10oz glasses. He was surprised, and a little embarrassed I believe, when he stood up from the table and almost fell down.

Thanks Warrior! (smart ass!!;))

I had always recorded the OG and then when the FG was about right and stable I bottled. Ididn't record it or care too much as long as the beer seemed good. I hear you though, it's almost lazy not to just go ahead and calculate.

This poll was prompted by a thread where the guy was adding more fermentables after primary and was at pains to know the ABV. At that point, I think an educated guess is OK.

Why would you NOT calculate this? I take an OG reading to figure my efficiency, then I take a FG reading to make sure it's done - that's everything you need.

It works about the same way for me, too. I know the OG and the FG, so the rest just falls into place. It's good to warn friends, too (although it also can be fun not to).

TL

My SWMBO is more interested in the ABV than I am. She likes beers with a lot of alcohol. When I told her the ABV on the No Short Measure Bitter was 3.2% her response was "Why would you even drink something like that? I want beer with a kick!". Ah, such is SMWBO.

:D

I jest, God really didn't tell me that. But anyways, I just calculate it for kicks. I know if a beer is a session or a 'special' one and that's good enough for me.

cheezydemon said:
Thanks Warrior! (smart ass!!;))

I had always recorded the OG and then when the FG was about right and stable I bottled. Ididn't record it or care too much as long as the beer seemed good. I hear you though, it's almost lazy not to just go ahead and calculate.

This poll was prompted by a thread where the guy was adding more fermentables after primary and was at pains to know the ABV. At that point, I think an educated guess is OK.
Sorry misunderstood your question.

Beerthoven said:
ABV on the No Short Measure Bitter was 3.2% her response was "Why would you even drink something like that? I want beer with a kick!".
:D

thats all you can even buy in good ole Utah unless you head tyo one of the micro brewerys... it actually says on the label of each utah beer -+2.8%-3.2%... thats why i am starting to brew my own goodies.

I'm pretty obsessive, and I just couldn't take the risk of not knowing...I mean...if you don't get a good OG reading, I's gone forever. You can't get it back again...ever...no matter what you do. Then what? What if someone asks you? What if you wake up in the middle of the night and can not go back to sleep because YOU WERE TO DAMN LAZY to take a gravity reading? and then What if you add alcohol at bottling? I added rum to a Dunkelwizen...And that made it 7.75% Now what If I hadn't taken gravity readings??? THAT'S RIGHT!! I WOULDN'T KNOW THAT now Would I? Then where would you be? I'll tell you where! You'd be alone with your Bastard Beer that YOU didn't care enough about to take a simple gravity reading!

Dang it...Now You Guys Got Me All Riled Up.

Oh...Ya...and like Ed Says. With beer at almost 8% it's like giving a BMC drinker 3 each. It usually ends up pretty funny.

I obsess about hitting my FG but never calculate the ABV. I know which beers are low alcohol session beers and which ones are going to pack a punch.

GT

For Christmas SWMBO gave me a light-up dry erase board for above my kegerator:

IMG_0770.JPG

So I write what beers are on tap, the OG, FG, and ABV. If I had any artistic ability whatsoever, not to mention better penmanship, it would be even cooler.

I don't obsess about hitting the gravities as much as knowing what they are.

I made a chart with all the measurements (I could think of).

All I do is subtract the FG from the OG and find that number on the chart and it tells me what the ABW and ABV are. Too simple.:D

Anyone interested in a copy can email me ([email protected]), or if anyone has a place to post it so others can download it would be better. :mug:

I want to know the OG, FG, and ABV to see if I'm close to the style I'm aiming for. Plus it helps me determine future mash temps (attenuation). I guess, too, I like to know how much alcohol I'm drinking. Plus it's nice to explain to non-brewers how I know how much alcohol is in it. I've had several comments from people who've tried homebrew in the past saying, "how do you control the alcohol content?"... and implying that homebrew has "more alcohol" than commercial beer. Then their eyes gloss over when I say "specific gravity" and they figure In know what I'm doing.:cross:

Note to self: when taking anal readings, use the plastic hydrometer, not the thin-walled glass one.

Although I care about mash efficiency, attenuation and track the gravity, I don't bother calculating ABV. Beers are Small, regular and Big.

Anal ABV can kill!

Back on topic...

I record my OG, but rarely, if ever, my FG. OG is nice because I can tell what my efficiency is, but FG doesn't carry the same importance to me. I ca get away with this for two reasons, usually. First, I usually only primary for an extended period of time, 1 month +. Second, I keg, so I don't have to worry about bottle bombs even if it isn't finished after the extended primary.

Knowing the ABV won't change how the beer tastes; it's just as delicious knowing the FG as it is when you don't :p. But in all honesty, my laziness in this regard is probably from my reluctance to use a hydrometer on a finished product (ie contamination, the need to find a non broken specimen to measure with, etc). I have a new refractometer in the mail, though, so I'll see if I can get some accurate corrected values outta it.

I take readings a lot. means I can sample. :)

I care about my beer and like to take care of it and know when it is finished.
It is good to know what is happening - for instance I just noted in another thread that my two beers are going to be stronger than I intended (7% and 10%) :drunk: Oops.

:confused: So....how come we don't see more wino's and hardcore alcoholics in alley ways with a bottle stuck where the sun don't shine???:confused: :D :mug:

Hmmm, maybe I'm lazy but I never use a hydrometer, never measure grains I'm using out exactly and never use beer software to calculate things out exactly.

So far everything's come out great except for:
-stuff using LME (never again!)
-one batch that got infected (grrrr!)

But then again I'm not trying to make the best beer in the world, just something that's more drinkable than the local Korean crap. If I lived in the states I probably wouldn't bother...

Bosh

WHAT you dont like Hite and CASS? lol

Ever been to Nicklebeys there in Ieatwon? They have Red Rock and its awesome.

Back