Anaheim Pepper Peach Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcelrokj

Reaction score
After having Asheville Brewing Co's Fire Escape Jalepeno Pale Ale, I decided to take my try at a pepper beer. Then my friend told me about this jalepeno peach pie he had somewhere, and I thought that might go well together in a wheat beer! I have some Anaheim's growing in the garden out back, so I thought I would use them and get some local peaches that are just coming into season.

I'd like a mild-moderate peach and pepper flavor, leaning more towards a roasty pepper flavor rather than a hot/spicy flavor, but would like just a bit of spiciness as well. I'm planning a very basic American Wheat base to highlight the peaches and peppers.

I'd like advice from those of you who have used both peaches and peppers in their beers. I want to add them to the secondary at the same time, perhaps as a mixed blend of peppers and peaches. Here's my recipe so far (5 gal)...

5 lbs 2-row
5 lbs wheat malt
1 lb rice hulls
1 oz Hallertau or Saaz for 60 min
Wyeast American Wheat (1010)
Mash at 150-152, batch sparge 170F

Primary 10-14 days
Rack onto 5lbs peaches/ ? amount peppers (roasted?) for 7-10 days

Keg

I guess the biggest question here is the best way to prepare the fruit/peppers for the secondary and how much to use for how long. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Man idk about a pepper peach beer. Sounds like stomach ache in a bottle. But as far as fruit goes 5 lbs would be good. Peppers your on your own I'm just afraid of a pepper beer.

5lbs is a good starting point. Peaches are a pretty weak flavor, so I always use a little bit of high quality peach extract to bring out the nose a little bit. My last sour peach Berliner used 5lbs of fresh, frozen and thawed peaches and 40ml of peach extract from Williams Brewing.

Well, I did it. I am not quite there yet, so I can't say how it will turn out, but in about two weeks I will know. Here's how I did it.

Devil in Disguise - Anaheim Pepper Peach Wheat Ale (5.5 gallons)

Grains
5 lbs Canadian 2-row
5 lbs American white wheat malt
1 lb rice hulls
Hops
1 oz Willamette (60 min)
0.5 oz Willamette (10 min)
Yeast
Wyeast American Wheat Ale (1010)

Steps
-Mash at 153F for 60 minutes with 3.33 gallons
-Sparge at 170F+ with 5.9 gallons
-Ferment at 71F until fermentation is complete, then let sit for additional 2-3 days (10-14 days total)
-Remove skins and pits from about 7 pounds of peaches to get 5 pounds of peach flesh, freeze in ziplock bag for 2 days, then move to fridge overnight to thaw.
-Roast 4 medium Anaheim peppers over direct flame to blacken skin. Place in bowl covered with saran wrap for 10 minutes, then peel, remove seeds, and chop. Place in ziplock bag, freeze for 2 days, then move to fridge overnight to thaw.
-Carefully pour peaches and peppers into sanitized fermentation bucket. Rack beer onto peaches and pepper.
After a week, sample beer for adequate flavor, then keg or bottle!

Original Gravity
Target - 1.050 Actual - 1.048
Final Gravity
Target - 1.013 Actual - 1.008
ABV
Target - 5.0% Actual - 5.2%

Here is a link to the full post on this beer. I will give an update when it is finished!

http://charlottesvillehomebrew.word...l-in-disguise-anaheim-pepper-peach-wheat-ale/

img_1037.jpg

Well, I did it. I am not quite there yet, so I can't say how it will turn out, but in about two weeks I will know. Here's how I did it.

Devil in Disguise - Anaheim Pepper Peach Wheat Ale (5.5 gallons)

Grains
5 lbs Canadian 2-row
5 lbs American white wheat malt
1 lb rice hulls
Hops
1 oz Willamette (60 min)
0.5 oz Willamette (10 min)
Yeast
Wyeast American Wheat Ale (1010)

Steps
-Mash at 153F for 60 minutes with 3.33 gallons
-Sparge at 170F+ with 5.9 gallons
-Ferment at 71F until fermentation is complete, then let sit for additional 2-3 days (10-14 days total)
-Remove skins and pits from about 7 pounds of peaches to get 5 pounds of peach flesh, freeze in ziplock bag for 2 days, then move to fridge overnight to thaw.
-Roast 4 medium Anaheim peppers over direct flame to blacken skin. Place in bowl covered with saran wrap for 10 minutes, then peel, remove seeds, and chop. Place in ziplock bag, freeze for 2 days, then move to fridge overnight to thaw.
-Carefully pour peaches and peppers into sanitized fermentation bucket. Rack beer onto peaches and pepper.
After a week, sample beer for adequate flavor, then keg or bottle!

Original Gravity
Target - 1.050 Actual - 1.048
Final Gravity
Target - 1.013 Actual - 1.008
ABV
Target - 5.0% Actual - 5.2%

Here is a link to the full post on this beer. I will give an update when it is finished!

http://charlottesvillehomebrew.word...l-in-disguise-anaheim-pepper-peach-wheat-ale/

img_1037.jpg

It turned out terrible. i ended up pitching the keg after forcing myself to drink it for a few weeks. oh well, it was worth a shot. don't think ill experiment with peppers in my beer anymore.

The old brewery that I used to work at released a Chocolate "Ghost Chili" Stout a while back, and I was very impressed with it. All chocolate up front, then a very nice warm heat on the finish (no "actual" chili taste).

Sorry your experiment didn't work out, but I doubt there's many - if anyone - on this forum who hasn't brewed something undrinkable. This is why I started doing half-size batches. It's a lot easier to toss 2.5 gallons than 5 gallons.

Back