An IPA success story ! :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimmy32

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for advice given on my post about bottling and racking to the secondary.
I did my IPA and used the advice of Revvy for bottling . Skipped the secondary totally.

The IPA sat for only a week and a half in 48 / 500 mls Ez-cap bottles.

I couldn't wait to try it out....my first impressions....

first off, I love hops ..the fresher the better. IPA is the ultimate beer imo.

I opened a bottle to find the carbonation was quite robust already.
The beer is a reddish gold color, with a smell if esters and phenols...very fruity.
The taste is immediately bitter , gravelly and coarse , followed by a gorgeous malty sweetness. Then the cascade hops kicked in and really impressed me.

Obviously this beer needs some time to mellow out...the fruity esters sort of overpowered the taste somewhat.
I havent been brewing beer in over 10 years, and felt very unconfident getting back into it....but thanks to the help I got on this forum, everything turned out much better than I expected , despite a few mistakes I made along the way.

I'm hoping after another 2 weeks of aging, this IPA will be quite amazing. It already is very well balanced...not too sweet, but lots of malty intensity...and a ****load of fresh hops, which I love.

:) thanks again guys !

Congrats! Once your carbonation levels are right, some time in cold storage (34 - 38 deg) will really help bring the flavors together and make that beer shine! I cold store mine in kegs and the longer they sit the better they get!

Mmmm..I'll put the bottles in my basement.
It should be interesting to see how the beer changes after 2 more weeks.

Back