An Idiot Builds a Brutus 10... or at least tries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year now and shortly after getting my first Cooper's Kit I stumbled upon Homebrewtalk and the inspiring DIY forum. So needless to say it wasn't long until I had set my eyes on Lonnie Mac's original Brutus 10 and said "I am gonna build that" without having the slightest clue as to how I actually would accomplish it.

*Reserved for final photo*

Accumulating the various parts and tools started months ago, but the actual build started on April 6, 2012. I went with 16 gauge 1.5" mild steel for the build and got it from Metal Supermarkets. I found their prices to by far be the most competitive in the Atlanta area. They were able to cut to my measurements for about $0.45 per cut - a bargain. The total cost with cuts was around $75. I also must say that after speaking with both of their Atlanta locations on the phone, I found the Doraville location to be much easier to deal with than the Marietta location.

SDC12228.jpg

Per the input of one of countless threads I came across here I picked up Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric 90 Amp Flux Wire Welder for I think around $100. I just sold it tonight on Craigslist for $80. I would say I got my $20 out of it. For anyone considering learning to weld on the Brutus and choose to use the same welder, I will give you a piece of advice I wish I had when starting. Use the Min power setting and set the wire speed to around 8 or 9. After burning more than my fair share of holes in the stand when the wire feed was set at 1 and the power was on Max, I found salvation. All the previously created holes were easily filled on the faster feed setting.

SDC12271.jpg

Countless hours spent over the first weekend welding the stand out and battling to keep it square.

SDC12234.jpg

SDC12235.jpg

SDC12237.jpg

Now onto the fun part, grinding, grinding, grinding. I took a metal grinding disc to all the welds and later an 80 grit flap disc over the entire stand. I would put the over under of times that my garage smoke detector went off in this process at 10. Each of the 10 was equally annoying to my wife upstairs as when one detector goes off in the house, they all do.

SDC12246.jpg

I opted for the Rustoleum Grill Paint from HD. The header paint colors and gloss did entice me, but at the end of the day the need to cure those paints prevented me from going down that road. Between the spray paint residue and the ground metal let’s just say my garage was pretty dusty/dirty.

SDC12247.jpg

After opening the garage door to allow the fumes/excess paint to vent the stand began to look pretty good.

SDC12250.jpg

I picked up the Brewer's Hardware Banjo Burner Heat Shields to mount my burners as I really liked the design that allows venting from the rear. These are designed for a stand with 2" steel so I had to notch out the rear with a cut off disc on my angle grinder to fit on my 1.5" stand. I also opted to mount the burners to the stand with self tapping sheet metal screws. This was a bit of controversy as to whether or not these would hold on an earlier thread I stared on the topic, but I have got to say that I don't see these screws ever failing. The reason I went with the screws is because I was told that my welder was not capable of attaching these stainless mounts to my stand.

SDC12256.jpg

If anyone else is planning on using the Brewer's Hardware Mount you will need to pick up longer screws as the short screws that come with the Banjo Burners will not create a large enough diameter for the shield to wrap around.

SDC12255.jpg

The plumbing and mounting of my valves and pilots was pretty straightforward. I chose to rely on the orifice valve (low pressure propane also picked up from Brewers Hardware) instead of plumbing in needle valves.

SDC12259.jpg

For casters I went with McMaster Carr threaded inserts and casters. I chose this over attempting to weld a nut to the inside of the leg as I didn't trust my welding skills to do that and could see the caster falling off in the middle of a brew day.

SDC12260.jpg

To mount my plate chiller and pumps I made plates out of a piece of flat iron I picked up from HD that I used to clamp the items to the stand. This was by far the simplest solution that will allow flexibility in the future and holds super strong with lock washers.

SDC12263.jpg

Next up was the most challenging part of the build... the control panel. I felt by far that documentation around control panel builds was the most lacking on HBT. I saw plenty of panels I wanted to replicate, but didn't know where to begin as there were no threads I found with detailed descriptions of the various components involved. For instance a terminal strip, I saw plenty of pictures and could tell what it did, but didn't have the first idea what it was called. Thanks to Collinsbrew's documentation and some great members of the forum I am almost there on the panel. I just need to figure out the setting on my PID.

SDC12266.jpg

SDC12269.jpg

The control panel mount was very simple. I simply made an L and attached it to my stand with a bolt through the two pieces.

SDC12273.jpg

I am getting there and am most definitely on the downhill. The hours spent on this thing are way more than I ever imagined, but after 2.5 weeks I am think I can see the finish line.

Thanks to everyone for helping this idiot out!

Now for my first question! I figure with all these pretty photos everyone will be chomping at the bit to answer!

I am having trouble with my PID and I think it was to do with the settings. I am getting readings of the air temp on my RTDs and when changing the SV to be below the PV the burner still fires when switching to the auto side of the switch. The wires on this side of the switch are as follows - one wire coming from pin 14 on the PID and the other side going to the valve. My PID is the Auber 2362.

Is there a best practice out there around the 2362 settings?

Seems a strange place to put the outdoor condensing unit for your house. I'd be scared my wife would run over the thing.

Great build. Looks like it's coming along nicely.

You Sir, are a fine craftsman with your innovative use of NRS straps. Whitewater boaters are fine beer connoiseurs.

Godd work.

You Sir, are a fine craftsman with your innovative use of NRS straps. Whitewater boaters are fine beer connoiseurs.

Godd work.

Saddly this is the most use my NRS straps have gotten in quite a while. I am thinking of naming the brewery River Right Brewing though.

I have your same mountain bike tires.

Seems a strange place to put the outdoor condensing unit for your house. I'd be scared my wife would run over the thing.

I live in a townhome so there are only so many places they can go. There really is no risk of a car running into the units. However, they are very annoying while working in the garage in the summer.

More comments on my garage and it's contents than the brewstand! Would you all like for me to take photos of the rest of my home? :cross:

I would bend and weld washers so keggles will not slip off burners. I used angle iron and bolted washers to it so it could be used for 2 sizes of keggles. I also used an angle iron insert to take the heat from the burner . Looks great to me.

Keep up the great posts. Some people have too much time on their hands!! Looking forward to final updates!

Great start! I'm impressed with how your stand turned out seeing that you're so new to welding. Where did you get your information on starting?

Great start! I'm impressed with how your stand turned out seeing that you're so new to welding. Where did you get your information on starting?

All info was gained from HBT. I attempted to read a few threads on dedicated welding message boards, but the info was either way over my head or the welding method was more advanced than Flux Core Wire (MIG or TIG).

At the end of the day the best advice I can give is set the wire feed speed high and the power low. This will mean you have to grind more in the end, but it gave me the best results.

I would bend and weld washers so keggles will not slip off burners. I used angle iron and bolted washers to it so it could be used for 2 sizes of keggles. I also used an angle iron insert to take the heat from the burner . Looks great to me.

Keep up the great posts. Some people have too much time on their hands!! Looking forward to final updates!

Is keggle slipping off really a big risk? Once the keggles are loaded with grain/water they are going to be really heavy and add to the downward force on the stand. On my turkey fryer used for extract brewing I never had an issue with my pot sliding on the stand.

Is the reason for the 3 burners so you use one for a direct fired mash to maintain temps?

Nice welding job! The Electric Brewing forum of HBT is where the builds for the control panels are.

Is keggle slipping off really a big risk? Once the keggles are loaded with grain/water they are going to be really heavy and add to the downward force on the stand. On my turkey fryer used for extract brewing I never had an issue with my pot sliding on the stand.

You'd have to be pretty drunk to knock a full pot off the stand, when it is sitting empty there is a chance somebody might knock them off though. It's not something I would worry about.

I probably would have kept the welder for a while until it was completed just in case you forgot a bracket or something.

That stand looks good though!!

I probably would have kept the welder for a while until it was completed just in case you forgot a bracket or something.

I did consider that, but as the bills continue to run up on this thing I needed some positive cash flow out of it! That and the fact I have had my fill of welding.

Now for my first question! I figure with all these pretty photos everyone will be chomping at the bit to answer!

I am having trouble with my PID and I think it was to do with the settings. I am getting readings of the air temp on my RTDs and when changing the SV to be below the PV the burner still fires when switching to the auto side of the switch. The wires on this side of the switch are as follows - one wire coming from pin 14 on the PID and the other side going to the valve. My PID is the Auber 2362.

Is there a best practice out there around the 2362 settings?

Thanks to some input on my other thread I am happy to report that my PIDs are functioning properly in the Auto-Off-Manual positions!!!! The advice simply boiled down to "read the directions again and again until you start to make sense of the setting options".

Now it is time to reattach the pilot light fittings - once my new compression fittings come in from Pexsupply. I must of really butchered the install on these guys as 3 of the 4 connections leaked. I took extra care to follow the directions and not over tighten, but they still leaked out of the back (where the copper pipe enters the fitting). I ordered 8 new ones from Pexsupply as I wanted to at least spend as much on product as I was on shipping... and I obviously haven't proven that I can successfully connect this pipe in one attempt.

I wish there was a dedicated hose with fittings that could be purchased like the yellow hose used for the main gas line.

I'm confused... :confused:

The title says idiot... I missed the idiot part somewhere in the thread. This is a nice build.

Nice work. How soon until the first brew day?

I had hoped for this weekend, but I still need to finish the keggles and not sure if that is going to happen by then. What really sucks is that beginning Monday I will be out of town for the next three weeks and had hoped to have a fermented treat waiting for me when I got home.

I'm confused... :confused:

The title says idiot... I missed the idiot part somewhere in the thread. This is a nice build.

You replied to some of my other threads, so you should have an idea how clueless I was. I may of swayed your opinion but the P-J fella likely thinks I am the dumbest person on earth, as he literally told me I was going to die in every reply on my electrical thread.

I don't keep track. I'm sure plenty of folks think I'm an idiot too.
I did read some startling news the other day that almost every human born dies at least once in their lifetime. Since then, the thought of waking up dead keeps me up at night.

which side is the front? The only reason I ask is in reading the description on the burner mounts off of the Brewers Hardware site it mentions arranging the "unfolding" section to the rear to vent the heat away from your valves, temp probes, ect. That may be what you have done here, you just normally see the air intakes facing toward the front.

Now it is time to reattach the pilot light fittings - once my new compression fittings come in from Pexsupply. I must of really butchered the install on these guys as 3 of the 4 connections leaked. I took extra care to follow the directions and not over tighten, but they still leaked out of the back (where the copper pipe enters the fitting). I ordered 8 new ones from Pexsupply as I wanted to at least spend as much on product as I was on shipping... and I obviously haven't proven that I can successfully connect this pipe in one attempt.

I wish there was a dedicated hose with fittings that could be purchased like the yellow hose used for the main gas line.

My new pilot compression fittings will be here tomorrow. Anyone care to offer some advice on how to go about connecting these guys?

No more leak in my pilot lines. I have got to say that Honeywell's instructions to tighten to one revolution beyond finger tight could not have been further from what was needed.

I also put in a large order with Bargain Fittings last night so if the cards fall my way I will be in possession of lots of shinny cam locks and tubing by Saturday and will be able to finish this thing up!

so, what did you do? just keep torquing?

Essentially, yes. I would give it a quarter to half turn then test for a leak by holding a lit lighter to the connection and quickly hitting the red button that allows gas to flow to the pilot.

In the end, I wouldn't say I had to seriously torque these guys, but they are probably 3 revolutions beyond "finger tight". However, that's three times as tight as Honeywell claims they need to be in their instructions.

It wouldn't be a weekend if I didn't spend 14 hours and 3 trips to HD working on this thing.

I managed to get the kegs drilled and all couplings mounted. While moving water around my system, I have run into an issue with one of my Chugger Pumps. It does come on as evidenced by a hum, but does not move any water. I have verified that there is no issues with the plumbing come into or going out of the pump by running the exact same lines on the other pump with no issues. Any ides to help troubleshoot this?

First brew complete and what a disaster it was. I will give each component a grade.

Burners/Valves/Pilots - A+ - Flawless performance with pilots staying lit for duration of the brewday and the quietness of the low pressure burners being a pleasant improvement of my previous high pressure burners.

Keggles/Fittings - B - I knew going in that I was still going to want to get a few more fittings on the upper part of my system as I determine where I want liquids returning in the keggles. All valves performed nicely with no leaks.

Electonics - A+ - All switches and PIDs worked as they should.

Pumps - F - These things really ruined my day. Countless times they almost caused me to give up. Basically, it came down to about a 50/50 chance of whether or not the pump would work when I hit the switch. I posted an earlier question here (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/please-help-me-figure-out-my-chugger-pump-324975/). Since I posted that thread things really got worse as both pumps were very intermittent in their success to actually pump. I spent a lot of time tightening and loosening the screws that hold the head to the housing as that tinkering was the only thing that really seems to provided any success at all, but I was never able to hone in on exactly what needed to be done.

Plate Chiller - A - What a time for BOTH pumps to fail! It took probably 10 mins to get a pump working and once it did I loved seeing how quickly the plate chiller brought the temp down.

Sparge - F - I think it went too fast. Beersmith calculated a 5 gallon sparge. How long should this take? I did a good job of matching the flow rate out of my MLT to the inflow rate from my HLT (this was one time where BOTH pumps actually worked at the same time!), but I think it was just too fast as the HLT was dry in about 10 mins.

The APA recipe was supposed to have a starting gravity of 1.051, and I came out with a 1.040. What kind of beer am I going to get as a result?

Do you know what size bolts you used to fit the heat shields around the burners?? I am going to lowes tonight to pick some up but not sure how long of a bolt I should get.

The bolts are metric. I believe they're 6MM x 1.0MM x 10MM (it's the length I'm not sure of).

OneHoppyGuy said:
The bolts are metric. I believe they're 6MM x 1.0MM x 10MM (it's the length I'm not sure of).

I am pretty sure I got the 30mm long bolts.

In my initial brew I used at rotating sparge arm I picked up from Midwest. It is the model seen here (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/10-gallon-polarware-kettle-sparge-arm-add-on.html). I cannot say that I really liked how I had to balance it on top of my keggle.

In looking for an option that can be more contained in my MLT I see this option from Norcal (http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/product419.html). I really like the feature that this can be installed inside my MLT and allow for me to connect to it via a cam lock for my hoses. Has anyone else used this guy?

In my initial brew I also only returned liquid to my MLT and HLT by running the hose into the top of the keg. I think I would also like to incoropate bulkhead returns at the tops of my keggles to do this. Could I get away with recirculating through my sparge assembly at full speed during my mash? Or do I need to recir faster?

Back