Amount of Propane Per Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cramar

Reaction score
Hey all, slowly migrating to all grain BIAB with the intent on moving everything outside. Researching, designing a modest system and buying things when/where I can.

Just wondering, in terms of doing a single pot BIAB with a final volume of 6 gallons how long would a standard propane tank last (assuming a 20lb tank is the norm). THis would include heating up and 60 minute boils.

Just curious as to a rough idea since I basically have no clue. 2 batches, 5 batches, 10 batches, etc.
Wondering it a larger propane tank (or multiple 20lb'rs) is warranted.

Thanks

My best guess is somewhere between 2-3 lbs per brew. A few weeks ago I was worried about running out during a brew so I weighed the tank first and figured there to be about 4# in there. Afterwards I weighed it again and there was about 2 lbs. I did the heating of strike/sparge water on my stove to conserve gas though so probably add a bit to that for biab. Although these numbers all probably have something to do with how efficient your burner is as well. I use a standard turkey fryer burner.

I get about 2 batches out of mine. I brew 12 gal batches. I think I would get a solid 3 when I did 5 gal batches.

I use the 12" banjo burners

Depends on the burner as they very in efficiency. The most efficient burner I've heard of is the one I'm currently using the Bayou Classic SQ14. I do 11 gallon batches all-grain including heating strike and sparge water and I easily do 4 batches (44 gallons!) on one 20lb tank!

I get about 2 batches out of mine. I brew 12 gal batches. I think I would get a solid 3 when I did 5 gal batches.

I use the 12" banjo burners
Wow, that seems really low.

I did thirteen 3-5 gal batches since the last time I filled my tank, but I have 2 tanks, so the other had some propane too and I also used them to grill at least 10 times last year.

Draw your water prior to starting your brewing to get it at least to room temp. There is quite a difference between 40* water and 70* water which is obvious but overlooked. I heat mine starting the night before beside Ol' Potbelly in the winter and start off at 100* or so. I'm still on a 20# after 7 @ 6.5 to 7.5 gallon batches.

I haven't measured yet but I know I'm getting a lot more out of a tank since I got my Blichmann burner compared to the Bayou I was using.

Definitely depends on the burner. I have a jet burner and it guzzles propane. I get maybe 2-3 brews per tank.

Depends on the burner and boil time. I average about 5 batches per cylinder before refilling. Sometimes 4, sometimes 6.

Back