American Brown Ale American Winter Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a week in the primary, we racked into our secondary. Usually our beers are ready to be bottled about three weeks from brew day (allowing consecutive hydrometer readings to determine if fermentation is finished). I'm wondering if additional bulk aging in the secondary is recommended for a high gravity beer like this? If so, how long should it age before bottling?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After 1 1/2 weeks in the bottle, it's just beginning to carb. I can tell I should take a case of this to the basement and forget about it for a few months. Or maybe I should just start another batch. Coastarine, this is an amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to raise this from the dead....but I lost this thread for about 6 months and finally found it again.

I'm trying to clone Mountain Ale by the Shed and this looks like a good starting point. Though mountain ale is very robust...but the color and abv and maybe the robustness are there with this one

Totally forgot about this recipe.
Too late to fit it into this years schedule but will be perfect for using up the pile of Nugget and Willamette I have.
If I brew in January and it's ready to drink by March it should still be good.

Can anyone answer the Maris Otter question I had a few posts back?
Worth the extra investment or normal pale ale malt is just as good?
There's only 4oz of roasted malt so I guess you would probably taste the difference with Maris Otter?

:mug:

I guess I'll hop on the eight year old thread, too!

Anyone have any suggestions for water chemistry? The OP mentions gypsum and epsom salts as late additions, but any other suggestions for starting water chemistry or target ranges for the gypsum and/or epsom?

Thanks!

I just used the generic water additions I do for all my beers, 1tsp calcium chloride, 1tsp gypsum.

This caught my eye yesterday and I think I'm going to make it around Christmas. I'll probably just make a 1.5 gallon version the first time.

Has anyone done this as BIAB? Do you do no sparge or do you sparge since the recipe calls for two sparges? I'm still new to BIAB and trying to figure out the best process.

Thanks!

...Has anyone done this as BIAB? Do you do no sparge or do you sparge since the recipe calls for two sparges? I'm still new to BIAB and trying to figure out the best process.

Thanks!

Yes! Check post #33 in this thread.

Just kegged this today, taste is pretty good a little green tasting still but i have time to let it sit in the keg and finish up. Missed my sg by about 7 points so mine is only 7% but not bad for my first try at a bigger beer. Thanks for the recipe

Back