american wheat starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojr

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an american hefeweizen this weekend, using Wyeast 1010. Should I use wheat dme for the starter, or is it fine to use regular extra light dme? TIA.

I'm a fan of using a base of light DME (or extra-light if I'm making a really light beer) and then adding specialty grains as a mini-mash. As long as you keep under a couple of pounds of grain, it stays pretty manageable. How about using flaked wheat as an addition instead of the base?

I think he's asking if he should use regular DME for the starter and the answer is it really doesn't matter. Unless you make a gallon starter of course!

Brew on!
:rockin:

nosnhojr said:
I'm planning to brew an american hefeweizen this weekend, using Wyeast 1010. Should I use wheat dme for the starter, or is it fine to use regular extra light dme? TIA.

While You could use the wheat DME, I would recommend using the light DME for all your starters. Consider is a neutral platform for launching your beers. It is also more cost effective since are using one DME, instead of a different DME for each starter.

Back