American Wheat or Cream Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar510

Reaction score
OK, now that my primary fermenter is free of my first batch, I would like to start my second batch. I want this one to be a beer my wife and friends can enjoy that isn't as strong as the IPA I just brewed.

My wife usually likes wheat ales (she's not too big on hops) so I was planning on an American Wheat. However, I've read about Cream Ales and am wondering if this would be a better idea....thoughts? I've never tried a Cream Ale and was thinking I might head down to BevMo to see if they had any good examples in stock...suggestions?

Genesee is the classic example of the style, shouldn't be too hard to find. If you find yourself in Wisconsin anytime soon, try Spotted Cow from New Glarus.

I vote the cream ale too, sounds delicious right now. I just brewed up an American wheat though, and it's delicious :mug:

"I sure miss the taste of Genny." That's what I bought in college when I was feeling flush. I don't know if it's exactly the same. It's been 35 years.

OK, now that my primary fermenter is free of my first batch, I would like to start my second batch. I want this one to be a beer my wife and friends can enjoy that isn't as strong as the IPA I just brewed.

My wife usually likes wheat ales (she's not too big on hops) so I was planning on an American Wheat. However, I've read about Cream Ales and am wondering if this would be a better idea....thoughts? I've never tried a Cream Ale and was thinking I might head down to BevMo to see if they had any good examples in stock...suggestions?

There is too much risk here. I hate making the wrong choice (why I never play video games because I save every 2 minutes). Let me tell you how you can make the right decision on this problem of yours.

1) Go to LHBS, buy a second fermentor.

2) Brew both beers, one on a Saturday and one on Sunday.

You will accomplish several things here:

A) You will have more beer

B) Your wife can tell you which one she likes.... AAAAND you will be able to avoid flak from her that you make too much beer, since you did it *all* for her :D

C) You will get more practice and nail your brewing process.

Viola!

jjones...that's some good stuff, hilarious!

So she's actually not feeling well today, so I stayed home to take care of her...eh humm...I mean brew some beer. After getting her medicine and making her lunch, I told her I was going to run to the homebrew store. Came back with ingredients for the Cream Ale...and she asked "Why didn't that come with the kit you bought?" I explained to her that this was for my second batch and she says..."Wait, how many beers will your first batch make?" I answer..."Two cases...?" maybe she doesn't know what cases mean. Then I say, "This one's for you :))). Plus it takes 4 weeks at a minimum before it's ready.

Best news of the night...my wife from the bedroom "Smells sooo good...like a brewery down there." Jackpot.

Cream ale is a good gateway beer. A little more flavor than the wheat. The cream ale I have brewed are a favorite of my sons that are in the early 20's. They were both Bud Lite guys but, they are converting to beer with flavor.

If you're doing all grain, the Cream of three crops is a pretty good recipe. I'm on my third batch of it.

The wheat beer is hard not to get spot on vs the cream ale. More people like the fruitier notes associated with the wheat styling too I've found. Bavarian Hefe is good and light in color. I'm going to do a late addition next time and try to make it even more blond.

Back