American Stoner Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregscsu

Reaction score
This will be my first barleywine, the recipe is based off Denny's 2010 Old Stoner Recipe.
Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks Greg.

American Stoner
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Boil Size: 8.0 gallons
OG: 1.108
SRM: 21
IBUs: 122.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Boil Time: 120 minutes
Mash @ 153F for 75 minutes
Wyeast 1450

Grain Bill:
14.67Lbs. - Rahr Pale 2-Row 2L
5.368Lbs. - American Munich Malt 10L
1.078Lbs. - CaraMunich 40L
0.902Lbs. - Caramel 60L

Hop Schedule:
2.0oz. - Pellet - Columbus 14.2% - FWH
2.0oz. - Pellet - Magnum 10.0% - 60 min
1.0oz. - Pellet - Columbus 14.2% - 10 min
1.0oz. - Pellet - Horizon 12.5% - 3 min
1.0oz. - Pellet - Columbus 14.2% - DRY

Mash Water Profile:
Calcium - 81 ppm
Magnesium - 6 ppm
Sodium - 55 ppm
Chloride - 38 ppm
Sulfate - 33 ppm

Alkalinity - (CaCO3 ppm) - 206 ppm
Residual Alkalinity - 144

Final Water Profile: This was determined by multiplying the water profile of the original 8 gallons in the boil kettle by 1.45 to account for the concentration of minerals as the wort boiled down to 5.5 gallons. Is this the correct method to determine the final water profile?
Calcium - 104.4 ppm
Magnesium - 8.7 ppm
Sodium - 62.35 ppm
Chloride - 78.3 ppm
Sulfate - 47.85 ppm

Chloride to Sulfate Ratio 1.636 / 1

Just a comment here but it looks like you like a bitter beer here and there and since this one has a fair amount of hops in it they would shine a bit more if you reversed your ratio of SO4 to Cl

When you hear the ratio mentioned it is usually SO4 to Cl like in the case of say Mike McDoles favorite water style with a 7 to 1 ratio or 350ppm SO4 to 50ppm Cl. This will extenuate the hop flavor and bitterness

This will extenuate the hop flavor and bitterness
wow i really have to wander into the water chemistry section more often. i haven't even begun to play with water chemistry yet and since i recently installed an RO filter, maybe it's time i began.

the recipe looks great greg. big malty beer with a lot of high AA hops to balance. i don't think i'd change a thing:) i've never heard of this yeast but sounds perfect for a barleywine:
YEAST STRAIN: 1450 | Denny's Favorite 50
This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated..

this worries me, though:
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 10%. what FG are you shooting for??

wow i really have to wander into the water chemistry section more often. i haven't even begun to play with water chemistry yet and since i recently installed an RO filter, maybe it's time i began.

the recipe looks great greg. big malty beer with a lot of high AA hops to balance. i don't think i'd change a thing:) i've never heard of this yeast but sounds perfect for a barleywine:
YEAST STRAIN: 1450 | Denny's Favorite 50
This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated..

this worries me, though:
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 10%. what FG are you shooting for??

oh, I didn't notice the yeast, I guess he is trying to lean toward the malty.

forget what I said then :)

I went with the original recipe & 1450 yeast, but my water profile was very similar to yours. My Cl/So4 was a little higher but the ratio is about the same. Big malty backbone with a good hop bitterness to offset. My RA was 125, just a little less then yours. In 1 week mine will be a year old, it was good at 8 months but it is getting better with age. I may have to brew this again as I don't know how long it will last as winter is coming.

My OG was 1.100 and FG 1.024. Denny stated he likes to see 1.024-1.026. He said he has gone as high as 12% with this yeast.

Back