American Lager (bud heavy?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Thinking about a drinkable version of bud - 6 or 7 #s of 6row, maybe 1# of honey malt and one ot two #s of rice flakes, hallertau and or tettnang hops - DO I NEED TO BOIL FLAKED RICE?
Also, SHOULD I DO A PROTEIN REST WHEN MASHING 6 ROW, OR TAKE ANY OTHER UNUSUAL MEASURES?
Appreciate any help.

A protein rest will probably help with the 6row. You don't need to boil flaked rice. Just include in the mash. Minute rice can be substituted for the flaked rice. I've used both and couldn't tell the difference, except in price.

Flaked rice does not need to be cooked. You don't have to do a protein rest unless you want to. Lately I've been doing one at 130F for my CAPs. I'd skip the honey malt. A longer mash at a low tamp is needed to get it dry like Bud. Most important is pitching at or lower than the fermenting temp and letting it warm up a little as it ferments.

Back