American ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
im going to be brewing an american ipa using some different hops just wanted to see peoples opinions on my recipe. Im somewhat new to designing recipes. This is for a 10 gallon batch.

22 lb 2 row
3lb crystal

1.5 oz ctz @60 min
2 oz falconers flight 7cs @20 min
2 oz falconers flight 7cs @10 min
1oz ahtanum @5 min
4 oz ahtanum @ flameout

Im also considering a dry hop addition but havn't decided. Hows it look?

What Lovibond of crystal are we working with? I love 10 here, 20 would be okay. Anything over those is way sweet at these ratios.

Dry hop your ipa. Why is this even in question?

I like to keep crystal malts 5% or lower in pales/IPAs. Subbing in some corn sugar in place of some base malt can also aid in a lower FG. Not necessary, but just something to consider. And dry hop should be a must.

Crystal 20. Am I better off going
24 lb 2 row
1 lb crystal?

Would 2oz falconers and 2oz ahtanum be sufficient for dry hopping?

That would work but i think you may find your malt profile to be a little bland (it won't be bad though, just really simple). I'd try something more like:

20lbs 2-row
3lbs vienna or light munich
2lbs C20 or C40 (or 1lb C20 and 1lb C60)

Or even drop the crystal/caramel all together and use some darker Munich.

I use a Munich and sometimes I use Vienna as well as crystal 20.

You are making an American IPA. The focus is NOT on the malt bill... Keep it simple. Mostly base plus a little crystal or honey malt. If you want to play with the grain bill split the base 50/50 with 2 row and pilsner or maris. I'd say 2-3% specialty malt.

Your hop additions look fine. For a 10 gallon batch I'd want around 6 oz or so of dry hop.

What yeast are you using? Cal ale is a beast so I'd keep the mash around 152º for 60 minutes. If you go lower expect a FG around 1.006 +-. I would shoot for a ABV of around 7%. It gives enough backbone to really showcase the hops but it doesn't overpower the drinker or make it to a DIPA.

Keep it simple but a little touch of complexity will go a long way.

i just brewed a falconers flight 7c's APA (10 gallons)
my recipie was
19 lbs of 2 row
1 pound of c30
1 pound of flaked barley
2 oz magnum at 60
.5 oz of falconers flight 7c's at 30
.5 oz of ff at 15
2 oz of ff at fo
dryhopped 1 oz of ff
Two yeast 1056(cali ale I) and 1272 (cali ale V)
I must say i loved the taste the FF 7c's gave the beer. complex and thoughtful. the 1272 really out shined the 1056. I also would say I almost overshot the hoppiness venturing into an IPA light from a pale ale.
my snyopsis: FF 7c's is a hop blend of 7 different hops. if I was going to brew a beer using Falconers flight i would only use it. The ability to taste the difference with an 8th hop is not going to be noticeable.
BTW: i think this is going to become my go to brew, when I want to get people into the beer scene. everyone likes it and at the same time an experienced "beer snob" can appreciate the hop complexity.

og 1.056
fg 1.012

Back