American IPA with non-american hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChucknBeer

Reaction score
If my IPA has 5 hops, but one of them is Tradition, only used for dryhopping and less than 10% of the total hop amount used... can it still be called an American IPA?

:confused:

An "american IPA" doesnt have to use american hops. Its about the design of the recipe. English IPAs are traditionally less hoppy, and have a stronger malt presence than american ones. What makes an american ipa is a very assertive hop presence and a very dry body. I wont get into east coast vs west coast vs "new" east coast

But most of all, dont get this hung up on classifying your beers. Your taste buds couldnt care less

An "american IPA" doesnt have to use american hops. Its about the design of the recipe. English IPAs are traditionally less hoppy, and have a stronger malt presence than american ones. What makes an american ipa is a very assertive hop presence and a very dry body. I wont get into east coast vs west coast vs "new" east coast

But most of all, dont get this hung up on classifying your beers. Your taste buds couldnt care less
Well, mine is THE BOMB with hops... it should be in the range for a very decent AIPA... but I failed to notice that small amount of Tradition being non american/new world...

I would just call it "IPA" or "Hybrid IPA" to be precise. Or use the name of the dominant hop. But it's your beer, you can call it whatever you want!

I've made IPA's with all-NZ hops, calling it Maori IPA. I've combined English & American hops in IPA's as well. I've got an IIPA with hot peppers, American, English & NZ hops fermenting now. American IPA's are as much a melting pot as the rest of everything American. It's part of who we are.:tank:

Sounds like maybe you're worried about entering it in competition? The judges don't have your recipe, I would imagine that small amount of tradition is overwhelmed by the other hops. As long as the finished result fits the description, i.e. that the hop flavor and aroma has "an American or New World hop character, such as citrus,floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry,melon, etc." then it's appropriate to enter in the AIPA category.

Well I don't disagree on categories (I'm a home brewer, don't give a **** about BJCP guidelines), there's something to be said about an American IPA and the hops required. To me that necessitates pine or citrus. Not spicy German noble hops or what not, even though those make a tasty IPA as well.

I'm not really sure what my point is.

Sounds like maybe you're worried about entering it in competition? The judges don't have your recipe, I would imagine that small amount of tradition is overwhelmed by the other hops. As long as the finished result fits the description, i.e. that the hop flavor and aroma has "an American or New World hop character, such as citrus,floral, pine, resinous, spicy, tropical fruit, stone fruit, berry,melon, etc." then it's appropriate to enter in the AIPA category.
Yes, my aim is to enter a competition under AIPA category. I will chill out and blow the competition :p

Don't blow the competition. That's definitely the wrong way to get ahead in life. :D

Congrats on 2nd place!!
Hahaha, I knew that someone would use that against me!

:X sometimes my english is kinda broken.

Back