American IPA 21-A Brew-Medal-Blog-Repeat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American IPA 21-A Den of Iniquity

The origin of the recipe takes us back to March of 2016. I had recently entered a beer/food/art pairing competition at a local brewery. Beerfly Alleyfight, which coincided with Chicago Craft Beer Week. This event took place at Haymarket Brewing Company. The original idea to use a Mosaic hopped IPA and pair it with smoked pulled pork. The pulled pork was smoked naked with nothing but salt and pepper. After it was smoked for several hours, it was dosed with a generous heaping of coriander, lemon peel, and orange peel. The coriander played well with the earthiness of the Mosaic hops while the lemon and orange peel also played complemented the citrus notes that people come to expect from Mosaic hops. The pork ended up winning first place in the competition. Sadly the beer did not place, but it was very well received by many people who gathered at Haymarket that day. I brewed this beer again for a gathering with my wife’s family last summer. Once again the beer was very well received.

I have a bit of an obsession with Mosaic hops. Ever since I first had Scyllas Grasp from Urban Legned, I have determined that Mosaic hops are among one of my favorite hops. I loved it so much that I created a recipe for a BBQ sauce that incorporated Scyllas Grasp. This BBQ sauce was a nice complement with my smoked pulled pork.

Only about five years old, Mosaic hops have certainly made brewers re-think their hop varieties and include this incredible hop to their brewing catalog. Jason Perrault from Select Botanicals and the Hop Breeeding Company (HBC) is know as the person to first start breeding these great hops. Perrault is certainly no stranger to quality hops, as he is known for the breeding of both Citra and Simcoe hops. Speaking of Simcoe, Mosaic has its lineage deriving from both Simcoe and Nugget hops. Much of this info can be read at https://learn.kegerator.com/mosaic-hops/ Nick Carr does a great job providing more than enough information one will ever need for a single hop. Mosaic hops are known for their tropical, citrus, pine, and even earthy characteristics.

images.jpg

Source: Mosaic: The Hop Chronicles on Brulosophy.com

This recipe prior to June of 2017 was just fine and ready to be cemented in my rotation. HomeBrewCon 2017 and the invasion of the Cryo Hops made me think twice how I dry hopped this beer.

Here’s the recipe for Den of Iniquity:

Malt Weight Percentage

Maris Otter 9 lbs. 75%

Vienna 1 lb. 9%

Munich 1lb. 8%

Crystal 40 .5 lb. 4%

White Wheat .5 lb. 4%

——————————————————————————————————————————-

Hops Oz Type Time Alpha Acids IBU

Simcoe 1oz Pellet 60 Min. 13 AA 41.2 IBU

Mosaic 1oz Pellet 10 Min. 12.7 AA 14.6 IBU

Mosaic 1oz Pellet 7 Min. 12.7 AA 10.8 IBU

Mosaic 1oz Pellet 5 Min. 12.7 AA 8 IBU

Mosaic 2oz Pellet Flameout 12.7 AA

Mosaic 2oz Pellet Dry Hop 12.7 AA 4 Days

Mosaic Cryo Hops YCH Dry Hop 12.7 AA 4 Days

Yeast Attenuation

Fermentis Safale US-05 81% Attenuation

Batch Size 5.5 Gallons

Boil Size 8 Gallons

Efficiency 82%

OG 1.067

FG 1.013

Color 7.8 SRM

Bitterness 69.5 IBU

The third and forth time I brewed this beer was going to be for some competitions. I was currently talking to my friend Brian about water chemistry and he helped me come up with the amount of brewing salts that I have listed below. I measured out my brewing salts since I was using RO water for this particular batch and needed to build the minerals back up. I used the following:

unnamed.jpg

Gypsum CaSo4 5.6g

Table Salt NaCL 0 g

Epsom Salt MgSO4 9.9g

Calcium Chloride CaCl 2.9g

Baking Soda NaHCO3 2.3g

Chalk CaCO3 5.4g

img-5497.jpg

Checking mash temp after mashing for 45 minutes. Started at 152 degrees and only dropped lost 2 degrees. Kettle is wrapped with an old bedroom quilt. Works great for keeping the heat contained.

Check out some reviews for The Brew Bag

img-53531.jpg

Aroma

Bright tropical fruit, grapefruit, ripe melon, and low maltiness.

Appearance

Golden, slightly hazy, white creamy head that persists throughout drinking.

Flavor

Mild biscuit, bready malt with bright floral and fruity hop flavors. Light sweetness with a firm and quite aggressive bitterness. Dry finish with a sweetness that lingers.

Mouthfeel

Medium bodies, moderately carbed. Feel crisp to the tongue.

Here’s what the BJCP Guidelines say about the American IPA:

https://guidelines.beerstyles.co/2015-21a-american-ipa/

—————————————————————————————————————————————–

I entered this beer into two competitions in the last few months. First competition was Drunk Monk, which is a very well populated homebrewing competition. There are usually between 700-800 entries every year. This year Den of Iniquity proudly took third place in Drunk Monk.

The second competition was the National Homebrew Competition run by the American Homebrewers Association. Although there the hardware is forthcoming, the online notification will serve as proof that I took second place in this year’s first round.

unnamed.png

I'm putting this recipe together right now. I'm going to have to sub in pale 2-row for the Marris Otter. A couple quick questions though. I also use RO, when you made your water additions did you just treat just the mash water or treat the mash/sparge water together? What was your target ph? Thanks in advance. Brew on!

I'm putting this recipe together right now. I'm going to have to sub in pale 2-row for the Marris Otter. A couple quick questions though. I also use RO, when you made your water additions did you just treat just the mash water or treat the mash/sparge water together? What was your target ph? Thanks in advance. Brew on!
I don't sparge since I do BIAB. So all of the water additions are just for the mash. When I went to check my ph, I couldn't find my ph reader. Usually the ph is around 5.4-5.3. The Pale 2-Row will certainly work well here. Cheers!

Back