American Floral IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtyquinn

Reaction score
Just harvested my hops and I'm getting a real nice floral character from my hops here in CT. I believe they are Cascade (however they may be Perle, long story) but lets just say they are floral Cascades. Can anybody point me to a recipe that will allow me to brew a very floral IPA. I buy my bittering, but I want to heavily hop my flavor additions. Thanks.

Not sure how you like IPA's. Cascade is pretty versatile at this point so it's a game with the perle hop idea. Since perle is originally german I would take it a malty direction.

Aim for an OG of mid 1.060's. Bitter with Northern brewer. Split the grainbill 60/40 Munich 10/Marris Otter. Add a half # of biscuit and a cara malt of your choice if you like that sort of thing. Carawheat would be neat.

since you want to focus on the hops, keep the grain bill simple. you could go nothing but 2-row which will create a nice platform for the hops. add some C-40 or C-60 if you want, but keep it under 5% (i'm not a fan of crystal in IPAs but some people seem to insist...). 10% munich or wheat could add a hint of complexity without being overbearing.

Back