American Brown Ale Critique Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wtf? where did my post go? lol

OG - 1.053
FG - 1.012
SRM - 20
IBU - 25
ABV - 5.5%
80% efficiency
30g batch

40# 2row
6# Flaked Oat
5# Victory
3# Caramunich I
2# Crystal 60L
1.5# Chocolate Rye
1# Chocolate Malt

2oz Columbus @ 60min
2oz US Northern Brewer @ 15min
1oz Willamette @ 0 min

So I was trying to come up with a New Holland Cabin Fever Clone and after doing some research on some other browns and taking what I know, this is what I came up with. I am looking for a big mouth feel like a stout, but not the roastiness. The Cabin Fever also has that rye "zing" so i think there is some of that in there. I feel like I have too many different malts in there and need to simplify it while keeping the flavors and color Im looking for.

Any ideas?

Wow, a 30 gallon experimental batch. That's some all or nothing brewing. It sounds like something I would enjoy drinking. It looks like a London Brown except that there are continental European grains. what's your mash schedule look like?

ahhh yes, was planning a 60min at 154 degrees and we may need to batch sparge. We usually fly, but in order to do a full boil on a 30g batch we need to use the hot liquor tank as a boil kettle. I dont like batch sparging and have had better efficiency when flying, but we need another 20g kettle first.

I brew with 2 other guys so its only worth a day of my time if i can walk away with a corny and 5g of bottles. Cost is not really an issue since we buy grain and chemicals through a micro brewery and save a ton. We just started washing yeast and will be experimenting with using that on one of the carboys from this batch as well.

I use hopville for my recipes, but I have been having some doubts on it accuracy. We mainly do higher IBU stuff, but it seems like that is not enough hops to even get this to 25 IBUs. Can anyone plug this into a different program to see the results?

For recipe calculation I use spread sheet with the Tinseth equations. Assuming 15%, 8.5% and 5.5% for the AA% I get 21 IBUs, about the same as you, which sounds reasonable to me. 20 IBUs is not much, and 12.5% AA boiling hops are strong. My guess is that you would taste a subtle bitterness instead of much flavor in the beer. Because four times the BU is coming from the boiling hops vs flavor. But I like more flavor hops than most American brews typically have.

Ok cool, thats what I was going for. We always do hoppy beers, which I love, but was trying to go in a different direction with this one.

Back